cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling and switching to a local sim card.

Puntakinte
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I Will be away most of this summer and I want to put a local SIM card in my Samsung S5. After I inserted the local SIM card and turn on my phone, I get a message on my phone asking for the: SIM network unlock PIN. Where can I get this number? 

Thanks.

***Edited to add Labels****

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Puntakinte,

Welcome to the community!

Once your phone is unlocked, using a local SIM is a great option. Before you get a SIM with a local provider, you might consider verifying whether you phone will work on their network -- at least for your needs. If all you're interested in is 2G, then that phone would work pretty much anywhere they use GSM networks. However, if you were hoping to use '3G' or LTE, then a little research would be useful. 

For example, if travelling to the US, the A5 (Canadian version) would not be compatible with T-Mobile's '3G' network. However, it would be compatible with their 2G and LTE networks. Or, if travelling to China, that phone would be compatible with their 2G and '3G' networks but not their LTE networks. In some countries, there may be some choice between providers using different bands/frequencies. You can verify the bands/frequencies by country here

**edit** My apologies, I misread your phone. The S5 (Canadian version) would be compatible with T-Mobile's '3G' network. However, the premise remains the same**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@Puntakinte You get that message because your phone is locked to Fido.

Fido can provide the unlock code for a fee of $50 after 90 days of service.