cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tethering - possible to get a public IP address ?

jcarron2
I'm a participant level 2

Hi,

I'd like to know if it is possible to get a public IP address, which isn't NAT'd when using tethering?

Currently, when I connect using my data only simm, I receive a 25.x.x.x IP, however when I visit www.whatismyip.org or .com, it returns that I have a 24.x.x.x IP. From research, it seems that this is due to carrier nating traffic. 

I've played with using different APN's, and somehow I ended up only once getting a 24.x.x.x IP, but that hasn't happened since. 

Is there an option to keep a persistent public IP? I need this option, as I have my laptop in a remote location powered on all the time to query data, and currently use TeamViewer, however, if that app crashes, I have to make a 3 hour drive to restart it, which is very annoying to say the least. I would just like to use remote desktop.

I have used /tried the following APN

fido-core-appl1.apn

- internet.fido.ca

- isp.fido.ca

- wap.fido.ca

Any ideas to make this work? I have thought of using a VPN, but would like to keep things "simple". 

thanks,

Jonathan

4 REPLIES 4

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @jcarron2,

Welcome to the community!

Tethering from your phone will work just like if you have a router connected to you Internet modem.

Your phone will have a public (or external) address and it will provide private IP address to the devices connected to it. There is no way to have two public IP address.

You might want to look into using a DNS service I use no-ip to connect to my devices.

jcarron2

Hello @KAPABLE-K

I just want to clarify as I think my original post lacks clarity, and perhaps you've misunderstood my question. 

I have a WWAN card in my laptop, which gets a 25.12.52.171 IP address. My laptop is indeed listening on port 3389 on this interface, and all interfaces.

C:\>netstat -an | find "LISTEN" | find "3389"
TCP 0.0.0.0:3389 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP [::]:3389 [::]:0 LISTENING

windows firewall is disabled, and the TCP connection works using telnet to test. 

eg;

C:\>start telnet 25.12.52.171 3389

C:\>netstat -an | find "3389"
TCP 0.0.0.0:3389 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 25.12.52.171:3389 25.12.52.171:57998 ESTABLISHED
TCP 25.12.52.171:57998 25.12.52.171:3389 ESTABLISHED
TCP [::]:3389 [::]:0 LISTENING

When I initiate a connection to 25.12.52.171 from the Internet I am not able to connect to 25.12.52.171 on port 3389 (I've tried other ports too, and changed the RDP service to listen on other ports). I've also run wireshark, and check the interface the WWAN is on (25.12.52.171), I see no packets destined for port 3389.

My conclusion is that there is some hidden NATing happening within the Fido network side.  

The last interesting bit I was trying to explain, and I do NOT want two public IP addresses at all. I just simply want to make an inbound TCP connection to the tethered machine... However it seems it (25.12.52.171) is not publically reachable from the internet. 

Is there any option fido offers to provide a publically reachable IP ?

the last item is - www.whatismyip.com shows a different IP address than what windows IP config shows - that IP being reported is actually 24.141.54.24 which is not what I see on my WWAN interface IP address.

I have tried initiating traffic to both, to no avail. 

Any ideas?

thanks,

Jonathan

So the question is how can I RDP to my remote machine using tethering and the 25.12.52.171 public IP ? 

@jcarron2, whatismyip will only show the external IP which is the 24 because that's the real IP address.

Try connecting using the 24 IP and the port you specified, i've never had to tether from a cell before so it probably would have its limitations but I have to do some research as i'm intrigued by this.

jcarron2

What more can I say - thanks so much for having a look!!

Jonathan