cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spoofing

NatAttack
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

I am getting really fed up with this spoofing that's been happening. I get calls from random people with either Rogers or Fido (same b/s) as their provider, usually with the same first six digits (the area code and first actual three digits) as my number, either saying they received a missed call from me when I didn't call them, or they're just automated machines or nothing. I've been a customer for at least 5 years now and this is getting really irritating. Fido, as one of the top providers, should be able to do something about this by now. It's not a start-up company anymore. Please do something!

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello NatAttack,

I think everyone is rather fed up about getting SPAM and SCAM calls from spoofed numbers. Unfortunately, there currently isn't much that any of the mobile providers can do to prevent them. Since the spammers/scammers use spoofed numbers, it is not possible to identify the true spammers' number. Even the CRTC admits there is currently little that can be done to determine the origins of nuisance calls. 

Mobile providers and landline providers simply cannot block a number without absolute proof that the owner of the number is engaged in nefarious activities. Apparently, the spammers have already chosen to spoof your number. I think you would agree that if they blocked your number simply based on its apparent use to make SPAM calls or send SPAM SMS, you would not be impressed.

Unfortunately, until the technology to unmask the true number of spammers/scammers is readily available (not simply the number shown on the caller ID), the only solution currently is to block the numbers on your phone. That said, it is hopeful to note that the CRTC is trying to implement measures to reduce nuisance calls (see here and here).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers