cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleazy Salesperson Charged Activation Fee for Online Signup

Vnguyen1
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I signed up for Fido online to avoid the activation fee. I selected express pick up so I could get my SIM from a store nearby. When I got to the store, I showed the salesperson my confirmation 'ready to pickup' email. He had no clue what it was. I told him I already signed up online and just need the SIM. He took forever to figure it out and tried to sell me on activating with him instead (on the exact same deal). I repeated that I already completed the transaction and just need the SIM. He then asked if I was porting a number. I said yes but I just need the SIM. He got the SIM and proceeded to port the number. I get home and I found that I'm being charged the $45 activation fee. But I never asked him to and he didn't ask me for permission nor did he identify that I'd have to pay the fee. I thought he was required to get my confirmation to charge me anything. I got an email confirmation with an agreement for porting my phone which is signed but I was never asked to sign anything. This is a really sleazy sales tactic. I haven't been able to contact someone to reverse this charge but my first experience with Fido has not been positive. If the fee is not reversed, I'd rather go back to my old carrier. 

1 REPLY 1

FidoPierre
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Vnguyen1

Welcome to the Community. 

I am sorry to see you had this kind of experience. It's definitely not the kind of thing we want to see any of our customers go through. I am glad you were able to get this sorted out though! 

To reconfirm, if you've purchased the phone directly online and  selected "Express Pick-up", you should not be charged a set-up fee, unless you require assistance in the store to actually set-up the phone. 

If you ever have questions about any charges on your bill, we encourage you to download the PDF file version of your invoice so you can view your full billing details. If you still have questions we'll be glad to review the information with you through any of the available channels to reach us here.