Revoke Grandfathered Plan

Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

Revoke Grandfathered Plan

Hello Fido community, is it possible for Fido to ever revoke your grandfathered plan? That is, for example, I have the $39 promo Smart Plan, will Fido in the future force me to ever switch my plan simply because it is grandfathered? For some reason I remember reading that Fido only guarantees your plan for the duration of your contract (tab). I could be wrong of course, but I am just curious. Any info would be great, thanks!

***Edited to add labels***

Accepted Solution

Re: Revoke Grandfathered Plan

Hey everyone! Although this thread is an older one, the topic of conversation is still relevant so I wanted to provide some clarity on things! Smiley

If you have a grandfathered plan, you can definitely keep it. The choice to change plan remains up to you Smiley

If you're on an agreement and it ends, there may be some limitations as to what device savings you can get if you're looking to get a new phone, so a plan change may be required. It does depend on the grandfathered plan though, and we'd have to check out the specific plan you have to see if it's eligible for a subsidy on a new device.

That said, if you're off agreement you can also keep the plan. Keep in mind that for no-term services the price/features can change. We avoid changes as much as possible though and if anything changes we notify you at least 30 days in advance.

I hope this helps everyone out!

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 10
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

hey nick67 I'm in the same boat as you! $39 promo Smart Plan withh 600mb. I would never want to change this plan as well. Here's my take on the matter.

I know Fido in general keeps grandfathered plans but only if you don't try to change your core plan or value add add-ons to a plan. Things to avoid are like '$4 value packs' which weren't compatible with old old fido plans (Those that charged voice mail for $7). When in doubt, ask Fido rep will new addons affect/conflict with your specific grandfathered plan, there is no way to reset your grandfathered plan once it is deleted from the system, even if it is an 'oops I didn't know that would happen' scenerio from Fido's end.  A Few years back I call Fido rep to drop the $6.95 government access fee from my old fido account when the new fido plan doesn't required it. The Fido rep told me the grandfathers plans still need to by $6.95, even though technically it is not part of the wireless plan.

On the flip side, Fido is allowed to increase some aspects of your grandfathered plan even if you don't alter it, Overage data/min fees, a 'insert_something_here' additional fee. These can be tacked on to your account without your concent, regardless of contract or not. Things like increasing 911 fee and disconnect fee. For example, if Fido decides there will be a $1000 disconnect fee starting today, your grandfathered plan won't help you aviod it.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 10
Highlighted
Fido Employee
Fido Employee

once you have a grandfathered plan, unless you change an option or want to upgrade your plan, you keep your same plan, same terms and conditions and same rates (rates dont change even if fido's rates go up, you keep all over usage). 

The only probably u will run into is if you want subsidy for a phone, unless you want the most basic of phones and not the preminum , you will be forced with the decision to change your plan OR to buy the phone at full price,  usually over 2 years, it works out to close to the same price

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 10
Highlighted
I'm Experienced Level 3
I'm Experienced Level 3

Overage rates, long distance rates, etc have in the past been raised on grandfathered plans. There is nothing stating they cannot do so, only the base price of the plan is grandfathered really. A tab or contract does not offer price protection and it says no such thing in an agreement, a contract simply promises a discount on a wireless device. Has been like this for many many years.

That all being said, it would be futile for a company to mess with your plans too much, it's just not going to happen. ESPECIALLY off-contract because you could just walk away and they don't want that happening.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 10
Highlighted
Fido Employee
Fido Employee

my daughter has the $39 PP but since Fido is new where I am located, they gave $10 discounts forever on plans, I activated 3 phones, hope she continues to enjoy basic smart phones and doesnt come a knocking for a iphone lol

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 10
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Discounts are never forever lol. Good deal you got on the plans though! Where are you located?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 10
Highlighted
Fido Employee
Fido Employee

The $10 discounts I got off per line, dont expire, its a grand opening special in the Maritimes, as long as I dont change the plan, i keep the discount forever, there is no expiration date, the rep showed me and it says so on my paper. But if I ever do any change it is gone.  

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 10
Highlighted
Solution

Hey everyone! Although this thread is an older one, the topic of conversation is still relevant so I wanted to provide some clarity on things! Smiley

If you have a grandfathered plan, you can definitely keep it. The choice to change plan remains up to you Smiley

If you're on an agreement and it ends, there may be some limitations as to what device savings you can get if you're looking to get a new phone, so a plan change may be required. It does depend on the grandfathered plan though, and we'd have to check out the specific plan you have to see if it's eligible for a subsidy on a new device.

That said, if you're off agreement you can also keep the plan. Keep in mind that for no-term services the price/features can change. We avoid changes as much as possible though and if anything changes we notify you at least 30 days in advance.

I hope this helps everyone out!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 10
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

Thank you @FidoNick for clarifying how grandfathering affects different plan types. I would like further explanation of the following: "If you're off agreement you can also keep the plan. Keep in mind that for no-term services the price/features can change."

What is meant by "no-term services"...are you referring to BOYD plans that are subject to increase OR customers who have a Small, Medium, Large plan whose term is over? For example, if a customer takes a 2 year agreement on a $50 Small plan (Jan 2017-Jan 2019) what happens Jan 2019 after their term/agreement is over? They go month-to-month but are you saying once your agreement ends, it's subject to an increase because it is now "no-term"? Thanks in advance Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 10
Highlighted

Hey @nick67

What we mean no-term services would be any plan that is not on a contract.  In your example, the Small plan would be considered a no-term service after the contract ends in 2019 if the person doesn't decide to renew.  However, this does not mean that the price would automatically increase at the end of the term.  It simply means that the price or features of the plan could change because it's no longer on an agreement.

I hope it's a bit clearer now! Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 10