cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RCS not working

Ansh1
I'm a participant level 2

I recently bought an unlocked pixel 3, and put my Fido RCS sim card in it. But I have found RCS is not working. Whenever I go into Android messages settings and enable it, I get a losing screen for a few seconds, then it says "excuse the wait" and that it'll let me know when it's done (which it never does). I have tried erasing my cache, and the storage, as well as rebooting the phone but nothing seems to work. I did some research and found that Fido might need to reset my RCS profile, but the phone costumer support may have trouble understanding, so I'm hoping a supervisor or someone on this forum can help me?

18 REPLIES 18

I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

Hey, I'm also experiencing the same issue. Called Google went through troubleshooting (still no success). Called Fido Support and was initially told that RCS is not supported by Fido/Rogers at this time. I had RCS running just fine on my original Pixel. Any updates as to how to get this working?

Hey @8563049

Congrats on your first post!

I'll send you a PM soon so we can look into this with you. Smiley

On a side note, have you tried the solution proposed here.

Talk soon.

wrick
I'm a contributor level 1

Just posting in here to get notified if anyone else gets this solved.

I've been struggling for weeks with support to get this working too.  To no avail.

BYOD Pixel 3.

DouglasRR

I have RCS working now, though I do not know if anything was done on Fido's end. But I followed the instructions in this thread -- https://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Smartphones/message-id/39244#M39244

For reference, here's what I did on my BYOD Pixel 2:

1. Open Messages app
  2. Go to Play Store, search for "carrier services"
  3. Click on "Carrier Services" by Google LLC, which should be at the top of the results and show as installed
  4. Click on "Uninstall" and you'll be prompted as "Do you want to uninstall all updates to this Android system app?"
  5. Click "OK"
  6. Go back to the Messages app
  7. Go to Messages settings within the three dots "..." menu
  8. Go to the "Advanced" tab and click on "Enable Chat Features"
  9. You should see a small circle, followed by a bigger circle with a checkmark in the middle -- success!
  10. Go back to the "Carrier Services" app in the Play Store and click on "Update" to re-install any updates

YMMV but it worked for me.

Cheers,

Douglas

wrick

Oh it worked !

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing with everyone, @DouglasRR!

Phodyssey

When my friend and I were with Rogers, all of our messages sent with Google Messages (formely known as Android Messages) were RCS. I recently switched to Fido but my friend is still with Rogers. All of our messages are now sent as SMS, although we didn't change anything else and we both have RCS enabled.

How do I get to send and receive RCS messages again?

Thanks

Hey @Phodyssey,

Welcome to our Community!

I've moved your post to this existing thread as it treats the same topic.

Can you let us know if you're using a non Fido device at the moment? Also, just to clarify, you're not getting any error message when you enable RCS, correct?

Have you already tried clearing the cache and storage and rebooting the phone? You can also try to steps posted in the solution to see if that changes anything.

Keep us posted.

Phodyssey

I found a solution:

1. Force close Google Messages
  2. Clear Google Messages data
  3. Uninstall Google Messages
  4. Reinstall Google Messages
  5. Open and enable RCS (it asks to by default)

Everything seems back to normal now.

Answers to the questions asked. My device was bought at Rogers but I'm now using a Fido SIM card. I was not getting any error message (I had tried several times to switch RCS off and back on). I also tried to clear cache, but that was insuffisant. The solution presented in this thread did not work either. I don't have Carrier Services installed on my device and never had before while RCS was working.

It looks like something went wrong when switching carriers, but I don't what exactly.

I'm glad you were able to get it sorted out, @Phodyssey!

And thanks for sharing, I'm sure it can be useful to others as well Smiley

Ansh1

Just an update for anyone seeing this post, I was reached out by Fido by PM but I was told that their team is aware of the issue and will let me know if and when it is fixed. It's been just over a week since then. I'll leave a reply if there are any new updates.

FidoValeska
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi @Ansh1

Thanks for reaching out Smiley 

We would need to look into your account to verify if the IMEI is registered and troubleshoot from there. 

I'll be sending you a PM so we can look into that together. 

emvock
I'm a participant level 1

Hi, I'm having the exact same issue. What should I do?

Hey @emvock

Welcome to the Community! 

Can you confirm which phone model you're using? 

Also are you having the same "Excuse the wait" error message? 

Let me know Smiley 

DouglasRR

I too am seeing the "Excuse the wait". I have a Pixel 2 that used to have RCS working but I seem to have lost it at some point along the way. Can you reach out to me too via PM please?

Hey @DouglasRR,

PM coming your way in just a few minutes, keep an eye on your inbox Smiley

dshirtliff

I'm also getting an "Excuse the wait" message on my BYOD Pixel 3XL.

Hey @dshirtliff

A PM is coming your way to get this looked into. Talk to you soon.