cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone price changes during checkout process

Ogre257
I'm a participant level 2

I am looking to upgrade my phone so I logged into Fido and searched what they had. I found a pre-owned S20 5G for $25.00/month from the original $61.88 as advertised directly above the $25.00.

I started the checkout process and when I got to the review order section I noticed the phone price changed to $69.93/month with a credit of $36.88. This brought the phone price down to $33.05/month. Which is an extra $8.05/month or $193.20 for the two year contract.

This is shady business practice. I am seriously contemplating leaving Fido. This is untrustworthy to say the least.

I honestly hope I'm completely wrong and that I missed something. If I'm right, you just lost a loyal customer.

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Ogre257,

Welcome to the community!

Was that advertised price after bill credit? It's a common misconception that the monthly cost of the phone was reduced. However, that was technically not the case. The device cost shown on the website was calcuated after bill credit. The monthly cost of the phone remained the same but customers were getting a credit on their bill to offset the cost of the phone.

The bill credit is applied to the account and does not directly affect the actual monthly financing cost. In your case, the original monthly financing fee of $61.88 and bill credit of $36.88 calculates to $25 per month. However, the monthly financing fee does not change. With taxes, that amounts to $61.88 x 1.13 (assuming 13% taxes as per value you provided) = $69.93

Your calculation ends up being the taxes on the monthly financing cost: $61.88 x 0.13 = $8.05

I think the reasoning for the calculations being this way is that the device costs are fixed. They purchase the devices at a set cost and they need to sell the devices at a set cost. Any actual reduction in a device's selling price would be reflected as a loss. One can argue the appropriateness of making the devices appear to cost less. However, customers are indeed receiving the bill credit to offset the cost.

I have replied to other similar queries explaining the math, here and here.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Ogre257

I appreciate your informative response.

I don't know how I missed that. I'm happy to be mistaken because I have a great plan and I didn't want to lose it.