cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone discounts.

jwk
I'm a participant level 3

I was ready to buy a new phone for myself and one for my wife, having settled on a model that said Cost per month $15 after bill credit.  Approaching the last stage of the process, there is a bill credit of $68.34 and a device cost of  95.83 leaving a cost of $27.49.  I am guessing the taxes are mixing something up in the calculation.

Should it not be $15 plus taxes, so about 17,25 in quebec?  On another phone the $15 per month becomes 20 even.

Mystified.  Could the system be messed up?

6 REPLIES 6

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Jwk,

Welcome to the community!

It's a common misconception that the monthly cost of the phone was reduced. However, that was technically not the case. The device cost shown on the website was calcuated after bill credit. The monthly cost of the phone remained the same but customers were getting a credit on their bill to offset the cost of the phone.

The bill credit is applied to the account and does not directly affect the actual monthly financing cost. In your case, the original monthly financing fee of $83.34 and bill credit of $68.34 calculates to $15 per month. However, the monthly financing fee does not change. With taxes, that amounts to $83.34 x 1.14975 (Québec taxes) = $95.82

I think the reasoning for the calculations being this way is that the device costs are fixed. They purchase the devices at a set cost and they need to sell the devices at a set cost. Any actual reduction in a device's selling price would be reflected as a loss. One can argue the appropriateness of making the devices appear to cost less. However, customers are indeed receiving the bill credit to offset the cost.

I have replied to other similar queries explaining the math, here and here.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

jwk

Fido is charging federal and provincial taxes on fees that are not paid by the customer as a result of the bill credit.  This is both unethical and likely illegal.

Hello again,

Your statement is incorrect. As mentioned previously, the bill credit is applied to the account. The credit is applied before taxes. I have previously provided the calculations here, here, and here. As noted in those calculations, the credit is applied before taxes are applied.

In fact, if a the monthly plan cost is less than the bill credit, they actually credit the taxes.

Fido Finance.jpg

~taken from Fido.ca on December 18, 2020.

If you do the math, I think you'll also note that the taxes are not charged improperly.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

jwk

OK, so on a $50 plan the motorola comes to 74.74.

My $44 plan should come in at $6.75 under that.

I would be content with that, but it is telling me $95.83.

The total monthly fees summary at the bottom says 59 prior to that, which I would expect- 44 plus 15 plus taxes.

That is the math that I expect.

Something is wrong.  This is on the page that asks me to read and accept the agreement.

I haven't seen a cart summary on any page.  

jwk

Incidentally, $95.83 also comes up on my wife's plan, which is not the same plan as mine.  Her plan is more, but the total amount is exactly the same.

Hello again,

That amount appears to be the device financing amount. As mentioned previously, the device financing did not actually get reduced. However, it sounds like you and your wife are not receiving the bill credit. What plans do you have? Are they older subsidised or BYOP plans? You should note that Fido has recently switched from their old subsidy model to a financed Payment Program. With the subsidised plans, the cost of devices was incorporated into the cost of plans (ie Small, Medium, Large, etc). With the new model, the cost of devices is separate from the cost of plans. Unfortnately, some of the old subsidised plans are not compatible with the new financed model. If you have an older plan, that could be the reason the system is providing you that information.

If you would like to discuss your options, you would need to contact customer service. Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they will also be able to access your account. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers