Ota fm radio neutered???

Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Ota fm radio neutered???

http://nextradioapp.com/whynotme/

If you’re seeing this page, your wireless carrier has not provided access to the FM chip on your phone.

NextRadio requires a special piece of software to activate and control the FM chip. Some carriers have provided access, and others are dragging their feet.

It is unreliable and inconceivable to me that north American mobility service providers would have the fm chip disabled. Ando the same with any phone manufacturer that allows this or facilitates in disabling this. Just a monopoly doing what it does best... screw up any consumer benefits but make the consumer pay and pay some more. Does fido or any other carrier really need me to stream radio rather than be able to utilize the ota equipment samsung already provided me and the rest of consumers????

Sigh.

Thank you

Terry

Accepted Solution

Re: Ota fm radio neutered???

Hey Twaugh333!

Welcome to the community Very_Happy

We've never asked device manufacturers to exclude FM and we never manually disable it if it's supported.

OEM’s drive what features are supported in their devices. There may be engineering or cost reasons for why they have chosen not to support FM radio. 

Hope this helps! 

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 13
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi @thisisstupid! As promised I'm getting back to you in regards to your question. Smiley

The decision to enable FM chips on devices lies solely with the manufacturers. Select devices already have FM chips enabled, and we anticipate there will be more in the future.

Cheers!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 13
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3
I'm a Participant Level 3

Which devices currently available from Fido offer an FM Radio?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 13
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @thisisstupid!

Currently we have 3 devices that are compatible:

Huawei GR5

Huawei Nova Plus

Moto G Plus

Cheers!