cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No prorated charges on my first bill of a data only plan

homeric
I'm a participant level 2

I wasn't aware that my first billing period is only 1-day, that is the day I activated my new data-only plan... I received a bill of $15+tax (1GB usage of data), but I only used 657 KB... I was very satisfied with the service until I received this bill... Sad

***Edited to add labels***

8 REPLIES 8

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@homeric  Data-only plans are on a flexible basis, no prorate is applied. You're simply billed the fee associated to the plan and amount of data you used if you go over. 

homeric

Just want to complain about it... It makes sense to have a 1-day only billing period with prorated charges. If there is no prorated charges, I would expect my billing period to be 30 days - OR at least someone inform me NOT to use my SIM at all on the day of activation, but no one...

Call customer service or maybe a moderator here can look into it for you and make things right.

homeric

How can I inform a moderator?

Hopefully one will see your post and message you soon or you can message anyone of them.

Hey homeric!

Welcome to the Community!

KAPABLE-K is correct. Flexible data plans, like those available on our data only lines are not prorated because billing is not based on how many days during your cycle the plan was active, but rather, you are billed for which ever tier corresponds to how much data is used during your cycle. If no data is used the lowest tier would apply.

I'll send you a PM shortly so that we can discuss this further. 

Chois
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Is it my understanding that with any plan the first billing cycle is always only a few days? Why is it set up like that? So the customer always ends up paying a full month price for only a few days of usage?

FidoRanya
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Chois

When it comes to cell phone plans, we bill you one month in advance, in order to create your billing cycle we charge you for 1 to 3 days of services first and then a full billing cycle. We don't bill you for days you didn't use. 

With data plans, it works differently as the monthly plan is not atuomatically pro-rated by our system . 

Let me know if you have any other questions.