No Voicemail Notification

I'm a Participant Level 2 anon5
I'm a Participant Level 2

No Voicemail Notification

I recently upgraded my phone to a Samsung A5, with Android 7.0. Since doing so, I get absolutely no indication of voicemail waiting for me.

My plan summary tells me I have Visual Voicemail and WhoCalled. My understanding is that Fido's Visual Voicemail no longer works with Android, even though it's still preloaded on the phone. I also understand that WhoCalled only covers calls missed when the phone was off or had no service.

I'd like to know if there is any other way of being notified of a voicemail. Not knowing there's a message waiting makes voicemail pretty useless

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 20
Former Moderator FidoMaria
Former Moderator

Re: No Voicemail Notification

Hi @anon5 & welcome to the Community!

Was your voicemail recently added, and do you by chance have the iPhone visual voicemail? That may be why you're not getting notifications.

Let me know. Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 20

As I pointed out in my original post, I have a Samsung A5, running Android 7.0. The visual voicemail app is the one that came preloaded on the phone.

I got the phone in December 2017, but my plan, including voicemail, has been in place for over 5 years.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 20
Moderator (inactive) FidoRanya
Moderator (inactive)

Thanks for clarifying @anon5 !

I'll send you a PM to make sure everything on the account is set up properly!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 20

With the assistance of FidoNick, my voicemail is now working properly. Thanks Nick!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 20
I'm a Participant Level 2 dnetter

Hi. I recently stopped receiving the voicemail notification. I have not made any changes to the plan or the phone. Pls help

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 20

Hey @dnetter!

Have you checked to ensure your data is turned on and that you're able to receive picture messages? For Visual Voicemail, they do come through as MMS so we'd have to ensure your MMS services are working.

Try to send yourself a picture, if you receive it then your MMS messaging is working and we'll have to take a closer look into your account! Keep in mind data must be on for MMS to work Smiley

Keep us posted!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 20

Hey again @dnetter!

Did you figure this out? If so, let us know how! I'm certain the info will help others!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 20
I'm a Participant Level 2 dnetter

Data on, MMS on everything else works fine

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 20

Hey @dnetter

Thanks for the update.

I'll send you a PM soon so we can take a look a your account together!

Talk to you soon Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 20
I'm a Participant Level 3 Kadylak
I'm a Participant Level 3

I'm having the same problem after switching over from Rogers, where I had the voicemail with only 3 stored messages for 3 days, so seems to be the same voicemail plan as my Fido account now. Have data turned on, can send and receive MMS, but the Andoid voicemail waiting indicator icon does not show up, nor do I get a system notification that I have voicemail. The text message from phone number 18 is kind of useless for me because usually I can't go to my voicemail inbox right away to hear it, and if I get another text from someone else I will forget that I have a voicemail. I need to have the VWI icon/breadcrumb notification showing to remind me I still have an unheard message in my voicemail inbox. If it requires premium voicemail, I believe I should be given that add-on for free to make this basic function work. I think I remember seeing a Voicemail (call phone #) setting when I was with Rogers, but can't find anything like that in my settings now that I'm on Fido with the same phone (Android 8.0.0). Thanks.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 20

Hello @Kadylak and welcome to the Community.

What phone model are you using?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 20

My phone is a Sony Xperia C Compact running Android 8.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 13 of 20

Hey @Kadylak

Did you get a chance to restore your phone to see if you get the same result? 

Of course, you would need to make sure to back up you information first.

Let me know.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 14 of 20

Hi FidoKenny,

Finally got around to doing a factory reset on my phone. A bit annoying that a number of settings don't get backed up and took hours to restore all my text messages.
Tried to see if leaving a voicemail shows the system notification but no change. Just a text message. See attached screenshot of the top of my phone's screen where the cassette tape icon is missing and system notification to be able to call voicemail directly (whereas it would show up before when I was with Rogers).

2018-12-17 12.37.58.png 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 15 of 20