cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No MMS transfer when Wifi calling active

razorblade
I'm a contributor level 1

Pixel 2 XL, using Android Messages (4.0.053).

Can send/ receive picture messages over LTE.

Can send/ receive picture messages over Wifi (wifi calling disabled.)

Can NOT send/ receive picture messages over Wifi (wifi calling enabled.)

6 REPLIES 6

razorblade

For anyone who sees this in the future, Fido "reset my network" and just a simple reboot of the phone fixed the problem.

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @razorblade,

Were you able to figure this out? Keep us posted!

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Razorblade,

Firstly, did you purchase your Pixel 2 XL from Fido? Have you been able to use voLTE and/or Wifi-calling for calls and SMS?

When you said you can send/receive picture mesages over LTE, was that with the voLTE service enabled? While it's theoretically possible to send MMS over LTE (without voLTE enabled), I have found that my phone has always switched to the '3G' network to send MMS.

Are you sure the picture messages you were able to send were MMS? Android messages is capable of sending RCS messages which would get sent as data and not as MMS. I'm wondering because MMS does not get sent via Wifi (unless Wifi-calling is enabled).

If your phone was not purchased from Fido, it's possible certain features (ie Wifi-calling and voLTE) might not work. If this is the case, the messages you were able to send were likely sent as data and not MMS.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

razorblade

I understand that in the case of Android devices, "if your phone wasn't purchased from Fido..." works generally as a blanket solution but that really is not the case with Google devices (they are not device specific, like Samsung or LG devices.)

In any case, the phones on the other end are either iPhones and or other Andriod devices, but I've verified that there's no RCS handshake. Also, Android Messages shows the protocol used for sending each message - and it verifies that they're being sent as MMS, not over data.

VoLTE is enabled, and seems to hold for phone calls, as well as when sending a message - I always see LTE and there's no switch to 3G (not that's visible, anyway.)

I've always been able to use Wifi calling and VoLTE for calls and SMS, and it still works as well (I tried in airplane mode, with wifi calling activated.) I travel a lot, so this is a common configuration for me - I can attest that I could even send picture messages in this config until not too long ago. Something changed recently.

@FidoClaudia - I need to call in to get this escalated to higher support techs. Unless you can do that for me through here!

We'd be happy to take a closer look into this with you, @razorblade

We'll need to access your account for this so we'll send you a PM shortly. 

Hello again,

Fair enough. Thank you for the additional information. My earlier reply was based on the available information.

MMS still does not get sent via Wifi without Wifi-calling enabled. While your phone might have been connected to Wifi when you sent that MMS, the message would still have been sent via the mobile networks and not Wifi.

From what you now note, something does appear to have changed.

Hope they can figure it out for you Smiley

Cheers