cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Interac Spoof via text message

bobC1
I'm a participant level 1

I received an SMS message directing me to Interacfido.com to claim a credit I supposedly got from Fido. The source of the message was 1-902-986-1165. Seems it is a phishing or scam attempt to get my banking information.

On the surface it looks legit except I have never overpaid Fido by the amount the cite in their SMS message.

What I would like to understand is how they got my phone number and how they know I am a Fido customer. Has there been a data leak at Fido that we have not yet heard of?

4 REPLIES 4

cashto
I'm a participant level 3

I received the same message this morning, from the same number: (902) 986-1165. Didn't bite as it would seem highly unlikely that Fido would ever give a refund over applying a credit to the next billing.

Edu-Mtl

I received this message this week.

it is a Scam. 

The url address at the bottom looks legitimate.

(I removed the dots of the url)

Nous, chez Fido, nous apprécions la fidélité de nos clients. On vous offre une récompense de $65:

interac fido-recompenses com

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello BobC1 and Anne33,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for the information! Unfortunately, that message is most definitely SPAM. The providers are doing all that they can to prevent SPAM SMS. You can help by forwarding these messages to 7726 (SPAM) (see here). Once audited, it will be used to augment the SPAM filter. Unfortunately, as fast as these messages get blocked by the SPAM filter, the spammers/scammers find new ways to bypass the filter.

A couple of tell-tale signs the the message is SPAM. Firstly, Fido won't send etransfers via email or text message link. If you are indeed provided with credit or bonuses, Fido will simply credit your account.

In addition, if Fido does send legitimate SMS, it will come from one of their short codes, not a phone number. Admittedly, since spoofing is so wide-spread, it's possible the spammers/scammers could eventually learn to spoof those codes as well.

As Anne33 mentioned, it's unlikely a data breach. It's actually rather easy to target a particular mobile provider's customers. All phone numbers are available in online databases. A particular area code and prefix combination would determine the provider. All a computer has to do is sequentially send messages to (or dial, if SCAM calls) a provider's area code and prefix combination with the addition from 0000 to 9999 and all of those numbers would be for customers with that provider (assuming the customers haven't ported-out their number to another provider). I provided a more detail explanation here.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Anne33

I just got the exact same message.  I didn't fall for it either.  You can find out which provider a phone number belongs to if you use Canada 411 and reverse look up.  I don't think this would have been any kind of a data breach on Fido's part.  Just more scammers...