Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone number is being used to call people

FdoCustomer12
I'm a participant level 1

Hi, 

I got a call from a private number saying they were returning my call. I hadn't called anyone in the last few days so this seems suspicious as they said my phone number had called them today.

Is it possible someone got another device with my phone number?

10 REPLIES 10

VivianY

I got the same problem today. Someone called me said that he is returning my call. However, i didn't call him! And the first six digital number are the same. For example, my number is 647 123 1234 he has the phone number with 647 123 5678. .

aneta123

Same thing happened to me. His name was Joe and said he's returning a call. He wouldn't take no as an answer while I tell him no I haven't called. He then repeated my number back to me 

Hello Aneta123,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you've received calls from people thinking you've been calling them. As mentioned elsewere in this thread, the calls are likely scammers or spammers using spoofed numbers. In your case, they happen to have spoofed your phone number. As you are aware, the numbers shown on caller ID do not belong to the spammers. They often belong to innocent, unsuspecting people -- such as yourself. Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done to prevent numbers from being spoofed. Even the RCMP are not immune to being spoofed (see here). 

Rest assured that it is unlikely your phone number has been hacked. All phone numbers -- whether landline or mobile -- are in databases which are readily available online. Certain prefixes are designated as landlines, others as Rogers, Fido, Bell, etc. All a spammer/scammer needs to do is have a computer sequentially dial the numbers of a desired area code/prefix combination from 0000 to 9999 and all of those customers would be with their desired target (see here). The spammers/scammers will often pick a phone number within that area code/prefix to spoof.

I understand that provides little comfort when someone insists that you called them. However, you might inform them you believe your number was spoofed.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

BobC83
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

SIM cloning is a thing, but apparently has become far more difficult as services switch from analogue to digital (and, therefore, encrypted) signals.

What's far more likely is that you gave phone permissions to a rogue app and it's calling behind your back.

I suggest ringing Fido and asking for an activity summary for the past week or so. If you don't recognise the numbers on the outgoing calls, then that could indicate that something's happened.

Also double-check which apps on your phone have access to dial numbers.

Solarguy10

Still ongoing problem.  Except my guy called me back 5 times, the first I told him who I was and he told me it was a number in an old phone but wouldn't tell me who's.  3 times I didn't answer, 5th time he told me they were actually calling and telling him he was going to jail (heard this one before).  Told him everything was fine, block my number and ignore it.  

Hello @Solarguy10,

I'm not sure if you are aware but the providers are working to implement a new technology standard called STIR/SHAKEN this should take effect September 2020.

Lexcelsior

Ugh! Just had a guy call me twice to yell at me and then leave me an angry email that he's been getting repeat calls from my number, and if I don't stop, he'll be forced to take action!! WTF!? I've had my number for almost 5 years now, without any problems. I barely call anyone anymore, not even my parents, hehe. I've had to block this guy's number now to avoid having him spoil my day again.

Is there really nothing that can be done? If Fido can't (won't?) do anything, is there anything I can do on my end to protect my phone number? I've also been getting my own share of pre-recorded telemarking spam (not even in English!) from numbers across Canada and internationally. How can we stop this?!?!

Thanks in advance. Smiley

Hello Lexcelsior,

I'm sorry to hear you've received angry calls from people thinking you've been calling them. There are still quite a number of people who do not realise that many of these calls are not telemarketers but are rather scammers or spammers using spoofed numbers. Unfortunately, some of them resort to these types of unpleasant return calls.

As previously mentioned, there isn't much providers can do to prevent SPAM calls. As you are aware, the numbers shown on caller ID do not belong to the spammers. They often belong to innocent, unsuspecting people -- such as yourself. Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done to prevent numbers from being spoofed. Even the RCMP are not immune to being spoofed (see here).

That said, it is recommended to report SPAM to the SPAM Reporting Centre. You can also find additional information here.

Here's an interesting MarketPlace episode investigating scam call centres.

Currently, it is not possible for providers to block those numbers because it would only end up blocking innocent customers and not the scammers/spammers. However, it's hopeful to note that the CRTC is trying to implement measures to certify and authenticate caller ID (see here and here).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @FdoCustomer12,

Its a method scammers uses now to call people, they would call someone and usually its a number similar to yours and make it display your phone number. I've had it happen to me a few times and even had the potential victim called me back just to swear at me.

Unfortunately there is nothing the service providers can do at this point to stop it because anyone can spoof any number.

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hello @FdoCustomer12 interesting and Good to know!

it is like @KAPABLE-K is saying it was a phone call reverse tactic scam. 

BTW If you are subject to spam scam you can report it. Text it to Fido at 7726

To avoid it some further tips are if  you don't know the number let it go to voicemail or  request an email about what it is (a secondary/3rd email account level).

• It's smart of you to ask if this would be possible for your number split. Your phone number is associated with your device(s) and your identity only. 

• however we often supply phone number in apps and services online and someone could input your phone number in apps  that's possible, just like your email could be subject of spam.

• When comes the verification financial  and due diligence it would not be taking over ownership of your phone line ever that's why Fido has a PIN system and other verifications and that no account information is discussed other than with you the account owner so rest assured.

CyberCheers!