cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone number is being used to call people I know

vin05
I'm a participant level 2
I got a call from a friend of mine saying they were returning my call. I hadn't called anyone in the last 10 hours, this happened while I was sleeping at night.It seems suspicious as he said that my phone number is being used to call him.Is it possible someone got another device with my phone number? I have no information about calling anyone in my call record and I even checked with my FIDO call record.
6 REPLIES 6

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Vin05,

Welcome to the community!

As mentioned above, phone number spoofing is an all-too-common problem that affects everyone -- both receiving calls from spoofed numbers as well as having one's phone number spoofed. Hopefully, the new measures (STIR/SHAKEN) to be introduced will help reduce nuisance calls.

However, you might also consider a possibly more sinister issue. While it is certainly possible that spammers/scammers spoofed your phone number, the likelihood they spoofed your number to call someone you know seems less likely. Is it possible your phone has been infected with a virus or has malware? Some viruses/malware make calls or send messages to people in the infected phone's contact lists (see here). If you don't already use a anti-virus/anti-malware app, you might consider getting one to verify your device has not been tainted.

How did you check your Fido call record? I don't believe My Account would be able to provide call details until after your billing cycle.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

vin05

Hi @Cawtau , 

I don't think my phone is infected with some virus or malware. To check recent call log I just called up FIDO and asked them to check my call log from their system. The FIDO call logs didn't indicate any outgoing calls during the time frame I requested.

Hello @vin05

Just checking in, did you verify the links or tried the steps proposed by @KAPABLE-K and @Cawtau

Please let the Community know! 

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @vin05,

What I suspect is happening here is that your number is being spoofed by scam/telemarketing callers. It's happening to everyone at this time there is nothing we can do to stop this from happening, but the carriers are working on a way to eventually combat these number spoofing.

You can read more about it here.

vin05

Hi @KAPABLE-K , 

Thank you for that link. I hope that it's a permanent solution.

Hello @vin05,

While the odds of your number being spoofed to call someone you know might be slim it is still likely.

I was actually reading an article regarding this that happened to a lady in Windsor, you can read that article here.

But as an extra precaution, you can always run a virus scan if it makes you feel better.