Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost phone - How can someone access my email

FiveStars
I'm a participant level 3

Hello

I lost my phone the end of August and already replaced it with a new one but just now, I received an email from someone saying, "I have your phone and want to return it. Please reply. that was a message sent from my regular email account and came into the same email account through my old phone. So, if I reply, it looks like I am sending a message fro myself. 

The most mysterious thing is that even though I have already asked FIDO to block the old SIM for my old phone, it seems like the third person, whoever it is, is able to use it. This is scary....I don't know why possible. 

On my old phone, I think I left the email account signed in. That's why the person was able to contact me through my account....that is my guess but I also think if my old phone was blocked properly, then no one can use it anymore. Am I wrong?

I am not sure what to do. Should I reply to the person or ignore and just change my email address immediately? 

Please advise.

FiveStars

5 REPLIES 5

FidoCharles
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @FiveStars

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear about your phone, we definitely know how it can be.

We're able to block your services and network access, but we're sadly not able to block the direct access to your phone. That would be why the person was able to use your email application to contact you.

The decision is yours, but if that person wants to return your lost phone there is nothing to worry about replying to your own email for this Smiley

FiveStars

Thank you for your response.

I now understand what it means to block SIM. Yes, you are right. There is nothing to worry about replying to my own email for this. I will follow your suggestion.

Another question is.....in this kind of situation, do people here in Canada usually bring some reward to the person when picking up their lost phones?  If so, I wonder what the reward would be. Money or sweets? I am originally from an Asian country, I am not familiar with the culture here. 

FiveStars

Hello @FiveStars,

The person that found your phone most likely connected to WiFi and that's how they were able to send you the email.

If you want to respond its totally up to you, if you do respond you can meet in a public place or even at a local police station.

In terms of rewards again it's totally up to you if you want to offer that person something, cash reward is usually preferred. 

Once you sort that out you should change your password also.

FiveStars

Hello 

Thank you for your advice. 

I have totally forgotten about resetting my password. 

I am going to do that right after picking up the phone. 

FiveStars

@FiveStars if you do get the phone back please let us know how it went.