Information on wireless service interruption - April 19 2021

SOLVED
FidoStephen
Community Manager

UPDATE 4/20 4:22 PM EDT

An update for our valued customers: We know you depend on us and on April 19, we let you down - for this we are truly sorry.

As part of that, you won't be charged for your wireless services that were impacted on Monday, April 19. A credit equivalent to that day's wireless service fee will be applied to your May bill. This will be done automatically & no action is required by you.

We’re undertaking an in-depth review in partnership with Ericsson. We know that this was related to an Ericsson software upgrade that caused devices to be disconnected from our network. We will use our findings of that review to help prevent similar issues from happening again.

Again, we offer our sincere apologies and will work hard to earn back your trust.

UPDATE 4/19 11:59 PM EDT
Wireless calls, SMS and data services are now restored for the vast majority of our customers. A small number of services with other carriers are continuing to come back online.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this outage has caused and thank you for your patience.

UPDATE 4/19 7:41 PM EDT
Fido wireless calls, SMS & data services are starting to return to normal for our customers. It will take several more hours for all customers and regions to return to full service. We will continue to work around the clock with our network partner Ericsson until that happens.

UPDATE 4/19 5:54 PM EDT 
We’ve identified the root cause of today’s intermittent wireless outage and are continuing to work hard to restore full service for our customers.

***If your services are still not restored, you can try restarting your phone or turning airplane mode on/off***

Accepted Solution

Re: [UPDATED] ⚠ SERVICE INTERRUPTION - APRIL 19 2021

Solved by Community Manager
UPDATE 4/20 4:22 PM EDT

An update for our valued customers: We know you depend on us and yesterday we let you down - for this we are truly sorry.

As part of that, a credit equivalent to yesterday’s wireless service fee will be applied to your May bill. This will be done automatically & no action is required by you.

We’re undertaking an in-depth review in partnership with Ericsson. We know that this was related to an Ericsson software upgrade that caused devices to be disconnected from our network. We will use our findings of that review to help prevent similar issues from happening again.

Again, we offer our sincere apologies and will work hard to earn back your trust.

View solution in context
476 REPLIES 476
Freddy985686755
I'm a Participant Level 1

The root cause was identified more than 12 hours ago according to this thread and still no estimated time for service restoration.

dmoed
I'm a Participant Level 2

the outage hasn't even been active for 12 hours.

Marnz

I am worried my data is in jeporday!  Do i need to reset my acct password?   also will Fido send out a text to say when service will return? thank you, New Fido customer

SylvJ

How come I can text but no phone calls?

FidoStephen
Community Manager

UPDATE

We’ve identified the root cause of today’s intermittent wireless outage and are continuing to work hard to restore full service for our customers.

A message from Jorge Fernandes, Chief Technology Officer at Rogers:

To our valued customers,

Especially during these times, we know how important it is to stay connected and how much you rely on our services for work, school and staying in touch.

The intermittent wireless service issues that started earlier this morning are unacceptable. On behalf of all of us here at Fido, I want to sincerely apologize for the significant impact and frustration that this has caused.

Our team of network experts, alongside our network partner Ericsson, are working hard to restore full service and have identified the root cause of the issue to help ensure it doesn’t happen again.

This situation is continuing to evolve, and I wanted to share what we know so far:

When did this start?

Early this morning, our network operations centre started to see that some wireless customers were experiencing intermittent issues with voice calls, SMS and data services. Our TV, home and business wireline Internet, and home phone services were not impacted.

What happened?

We have identified the root cause of the service issues and pinpointed a recent Ericsson software update that affected a piece of equipment in the central part of our wireless network. That led to intermittent congestion and service impacts for many customers across the country.

What are you doing about it?

We have addressed the software issue and our engineering and technical teams will continue to work around the clock with the Ericsson team to restore full services for our customers. 

When will services be restored?

We do not have an exact time yet as it may take us several hours to get everything back up and running normally. It’s important that we bring wireless services back up gradually as we return to full service. You have our full commitment that we will not rest until all services are restored.

How can I be updated?

We will continue to provide updates every few hours. Please visit Fido.ca or any of our social media channels for the most up to date information.

dmoed

I appreciate your service. 🥳

PREE

Hi

1:  Is there an estimate time of when services will be restored?

2:  How will customers be compensated for not having access to services that are essential and that have been paid for?

3:  Will you be providing compensation for each phone line effected?

4:  is there a way to prevent this in the future?

Take care,

Sunita

FidoStephen
Community Manager

Hi @PREE,

Thank you for your patience with this. Unfortunately I don't have answers to all of your questions, but services are gradually coming back nationwide. It may take some time before it's fully restored. As mentioned in the update, our team of network experts, alongside our network partner Ericsson, are working hard to restore full service and have identified the root cause of the issue to help ensure it doesn’t happen again.

I'll update this thread as soon as I know more.

Solenya
I'm a Participant Level 3

Imma totally let you finish, but we all know that you did the outage best back in 2003! Best outage of all time in fact. *drops mic, puts on Kanye '80's slatted sunglasses*

S_SSELIN

Calls are in and out. Still unable to send/receive texts. Keep getting Error 38 since 8:30am this morning. What's going on Fido?!?! Where are the updates? Stop apologizing, just explain why it happened in the first place and fix it. From MTL, QC. 

spqr

When will the wireless outage be done? Has the problem been resolved?  Am not able to receive the multi-factor authentication messages that I need to access accounts.  

shantih6985

Click here
I know the Fido and Rogers network had issues this morning. Yesterday my phone was making and receiving calls as well as getting data.  Now it's not registered?? I tried to do online chat and they cancelled my call withoutveven helping me. I am willing to pay for services so could somebody help me with my sim card information and registering my phone
dmoed

I would just like to say that everyone here that is acting like one outage in God knows how many years is the end of the world are disgusting. If you had an important call then you should have put in the effort, buy some Skype credits or borrowed a phone with telus or bell service. You're all just upset that you were caught lacking.

Blaggji

One of the reasons I kept my very expensive Bell wired landline.  Technology is great until it fails.

Jef_K

With respect, some are in lockdown (and/or quarantine), alone, no transportation, no employment, no change jangling around to pay for Skype credit and/or relatives/work cannot be contacted via video chat. Some need to be in contact with ill/struggling family members. Others need to speak with financial institutions, debtors, companies awaiting bill payments. Some have scheduled job interviews via phone.  The luckiest among us are able to work from home, but many need cellular calling to do that, including for making deadlines. So, yes, for some this is urgent.  

kianersss

Not everyone has the previledge to buy skype credits or to buy a prepaid sim. And not everyone has an access to borrow phones especially during a pandemic. Most of us only rely on data plans. Which clearly, Fido isn't that reliable. Smiley

Masonia

You realize we are in the middle of a pandemic and it's not easy for everyone, or even possible, to just go out and do as you suggest. I'm happy you have been able to work around it, but people's complaints are very valid.

Mindy201

It's almost 3pm in BC still no cell network all day or any time estimate when this problem will be resolved. 

Solenya

Try putting your phone into Airplane mode, then turn Airplane Mode back off again.

Sometimes all that's needed is a ''forced" reset like that to get your phone back. I'm in BC too and just randomly started working, so there's hope!

Masonia

Thanks for the suggestion but hasn't worked for me.

MagdaMontreal

Tried that. It didn't work. I also did a proper shutdown. It didn't work either. We'll just have to wait for the problem to be fixed at the other end. It's been almosrc12 hours now. At least I can make ans receive calls now.