I'd Like to ask for your Opinions About these Two Issues

Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 3 ALISHIBAZ
I'm a Contributor Level 3

I'd Like to ask for your Opinions About these Two Issues

Hello,

I am considering changing the status of my account from "Prepaid" to "Prepaid by the month". As a result, during the past few days, I have made many calls to FIDO customer service and I have spent many hours talking with them and trying to find out exactly what the pros and cons of the various plans are.

As a result of that, I have a few issues. My first issue is that I cannot believe there are different plans with names that are so similar. For example, did you know there is one plan called "FIDO Prepaid Monthly" and another plan called "FIDO Prepaid By the Month". They are very different plans. I'm not sure. But I think the difference is that "FIDO Prepaid Monthly" requires a 2 year commitment (aka a contract). But I'm probably wrong about that.

After spending many hours talking with FIDO reps, I still am not certain I have all the details correct. However, if I'm not certain how these plans work, can you imagine how a newcomer must feel? I wouldn't be at all surprised if a newcomer to FIDO was thoroughly confused by all these plans - and especially these two plans.

I regret not knowing all the details of the "FIDO Prepaid Monthly" plan because I'm fairly certain that I will be switching to the "FIDO Prepaid by the Month". In addition, since I rarely use text messaging, I don't know anything about how text messaging works under these plans. But if anyone here is interested, I will try to explain the details of how "FIDO Prepaid by the Month" is charged to the customer.

I will prob get these details incorrect and I'd be grateful if anyone here would correct any mistakes that I make. I currently pay 35 cents per minute. If I switch to "FIDO Prepaid by the Month", I will still pay 35 cents per minute on weekdays between 7am and 7pm. At all other times, I will get free calling. Is that correct?

Strangely enough, these rates includes holidays like New Years Day, Good Friday, Canada Day (July 1 in Canada but July 4 in the USA), Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Rememberance Day, Christmas. In Canada we have two other holidays. I think they are called "Family Day" and "Civic Holiday". I'm not sure about the USA. This list may seem very detailed to some of you.  But I believe in being thorough to avoid any mistakes or disputes later on.

Wow! My head is spinning. But let me carry on with some other issues.

The first issue is not so serious. Here it is: After spending so many hours waiting on Hold to talk with a FIDO Service Rep, I am absolutely certain of one thing. I really, really, really HATE the FIDO Muzak that they pump into my ears. My phone has a "MUTE" function. I have never used it before today. But I tried it today and it didn't do anything. Does anyone know how to mute that muzak? Alternatviely, does anyone know what the mute button is supposed todo?

I opened my Nokia phone and I think I found the model number is C1-01. Please stop laughing. I know it is a rather old phone. But I love it. It does everything for me that I need. In that way, it's kind of like my wife. My wife is laughing now. She is a good sport and I love her - even more than this phone. She knows I'm just joking.

OK. So, that is the first issue. How can I stop this Muzak that I hate?

The second issue is I never had any idea how many numbers there are to talk with a FIDO rep (in Canada anyway). Let me just show you the numbers that I know and maybe you all can add some more to this list?

1) *46 (to speak with a FIDO rep) just keep pressing zero after it asks, "To refill press 1". If you press zero three times, it will transfer your call to a FIDO rep. This is the quickest way to get to speak with a FIDO rep that I know.

2) 622 - same deal

3) 1-888-481-FIDO or 1-888-481-3436

4) This is another way to use a prepaid voucher. But it doesn't let you speak with a rep to the best of my knowledge. Suppose the 14 digit voucher number is 12345678901234. You can refill your acct by dialing
 *114*12345678901234#
This is the quickest way to refill your acct with a voucher - at least so far as I know.

5) *225 This will give you your current balance. But it won't let you speak with a rep.

I have one more issue. But I will post a new thread for that because this post is getting too long.

Accepted Solution

Re: I'd Like to ask for your Opinions About these Two Issues

Alishibaz,

Wow, your train of thought is all over the place! Hope I can answer the best I can to your questions:

Let's first seperate the two types of monthly payment plans, Prepaid by the month and Monthly subscription plans

Prepaid BY THE MINUTE/DAY/MONTH/YEAR: Fido doesn't draw a monthly fee from your bank or credit card, It is up to you to fill your Fido account with money. No credit checks needed. Your account balance expires after a time period, so you need to periodically refill your account to maintain your phone number. You can select your payment time period anywhere from nothing to 1 year period.

Monthly subscriptions (STANDARD/SMART/MAX): Credit check required, Fido draws monthly from your bank/credit card automactically every month, A 2 year contract option is avaliable but not necessary, you can get a new phone at a subsidized price if you sign a contract.

Regarding the Prepaid BY THE MONTH billing, just remember the $0.35 rate and unlimited calling is restricted to LOCAL CALLING ONLY. If you are in Toronto and you are calling Waterloo, that's national calling and additional rates apply.

The 'MUZAK' cannot be turned off, but you can turn on your speakerphone function and place the phone on a table to reduce the annoyance.

Fido offers a lot of ways to contact them for information or to refill your prepaid vouchers.  The most common method to use is dial 611 on your Fido cell phone and follow the prompts, if you want to speak to a customer service rep you can dial 0 during the auto record prompts.

Advice on future posts, ask only one question per post, and put your question on the post's SUBJECT LINE, that way you help people who also has a similiar problem as you to read/reply on your post.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 8
Highlighted

Oh Dang!

I typed 622 but I meant 611.

Is there no way to edit a post once it's been made?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 8
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

@ALISHIBAZ wrote:

The first issue is not so serious. Here it is: After spending so many hours waiting on Hold to talk with a FIDO Service Rep, I am absolutely certain of one thing. I really, really, really HATE the FIDO Muzak that they pump into my ears. My phone has a "MUTE" function. I have never used it before today. But I tried it today and it didn't do anything. Does anyone know how to mute that muzak? Alternatviely, does anyone know what the mute button is supposed todo?

I assume by "muzak" you mean "music". No, you can't stop it - it you could, you also could not hear when someone comes on the line anyway.

The mute button is most likely to mute your phone's microphone, so that the other person cannot hear what you're saying. I use it when I'm on a conference call, I don't expect to talk at the moment and I don't want background noises around me getting into the call.

EDIT: yes, you can edit your post (just like I'm doing right now). In the upper-right corner of your message, there is "Option" with a down arrow. Click on it, and select the first option: "Edit". Of course, you can only edit your own posts, not someone else's.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 8
Highlighted

If you don't know the term "Muzak", it is a term that was first used in the 70s and it refers to the kind of music played in elevators.

It's not real music in that no one has to pay royalties to any artists.

But it is usually the kind of sounds designed to pacify people - to make them unlikely to start any trouble.

Perhaps you might like to read this small Wikipedia article. It explains that "Muzak" is another name for "Elevator Music".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elevator_music

I hope you won't  mind if I guess that you are rather young. Maybe under 20 years old?

This is in  no way an insult direted towards you. I just think the term Muzak is something that most people over the age of 21 know about but younger people may not.

However, I would be glad to trade you. I would be glad to take your age if you would like to take mine. I am 78 years old. How's about yourself?

*just joking* Very_Happy

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

My 20s are long gone, but I never heard the term. Then again, English is not my first language, and I'm not the musical type anyway. Smiley
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 8
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3
Solution

Alishibaz,

Wow, your train of thought is all over the place! Hope I can answer the best I can to your questions:

Let's first seperate the two types of monthly payment plans, Prepaid by the month and Monthly subscription plans

Prepaid BY THE MINUTE/DAY/MONTH/YEAR: Fido doesn't draw a monthly fee from your bank or credit card, It is up to you to fill your Fido account with money. No credit checks needed. Your account balance expires after a time period, so you need to periodically refill your account to maintain your phone number. You can select your payment time period anywhere from nothing to 1 year period.

Monthly subscriptions (STANDARD/SMART/MAX): Credit check required, Fido draws monthly from your bank/credit card automactically every month, A 2 year contract option is avaliable but not necessary, you can get a new phone at a subsidized price if you sign a contract.

Regarding the Prepaid BY THE MONTH billing, just remember the $0.35 rate and unlimited calling is restricted to LOCAL CALLING ONLY. If you are in Toronto and you are calling Waterloo, that's national calling and additional rates apply.

The 'MUZAK' cannot be turned off, but you can turn on your speakerphone function and place the phone on a table to reduce the annoyance.

Fido offers a lot of ways to contact them for information or to refill your prepaid vouchers.  The most common method to use is dial 611 on your Fido cell phone and follow the prompts, if you want to speak to a customer service rep you can dial 0 during the auto record prompts.

Advice on future posts, ask only one question per post, and put your question on the post's SUBJECT LINE, that way you help people who also has a similiar problem as you to read/reply on your post.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 8
Highlighted

Wufai,

Thank you very much for your excellent advice.

I will certainlyl take it to heart and from now on, you can be sure I will only ask one question per post.

Well done, Wufai.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
Fido Employee FidoCristina
Fido Employee

@Wufai wrote:

Hey there,

Wufai had provided great information yet Fido does not require automatic payment when subscribed to postpaid service. It is your choice to have the amount withdrawn from your bank/credit card, otherwise you can pay the balance yourself manually.

Hope it helps!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 8