cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to block ALL blocked/private calls?

BelaFlorentina
I'm a participant level 1

I have been receiving blocked/private calls at all hours of the night and sometimes during the day and would like to find out who it is that is calling me. If/When I answer the phone, the person does not saying anything and hangs up almost immediately. Turning my phone off at night is not an option for me. I do not feel threatened and thus why I do not want to file a report with the RCMP/police. I don't necessarily even need to know who it is, I just want the phone calls to stop.

I would like to know if Fido offers the option of *77.  On other providers, when an anonymous caller attempts to call you when this feature is activated, they will hear a message informing them to hang up, remove the call display block and call again.

This would be the IDEAL remedy for my situation. Please advise.

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello BelaFlorentina,

Welcome to the forums!

First, anonymous/private calls and unavailable/unknown calls are two different things. Anonymous calls are calls from someone who has chosen to block their telephone number from being displayed on your caller ID screen. This means the caller has dialed *67 before dialing your phone number (or they have what is called line blocking where all their outgoing caller id info is automatically blocked without them having to dial *67 before every call).  *77 is used (where available) to block anonymous/private calls and force the caller to allow their caller id info to come through to your phone in order for the call to complete.

On the other hand, unavailable/unknown calls are calls in which no caller id information has been sent. I don't believe *77 will block these calls.

As @KAPABLE-K suggested, some phones have an Auto-reject function. Depending on your phone, the Unknown auto-reject might already be progammed in the phone. It's pre-programmed on Galaxy S5 -- Call settings --> Call --> Call rejection --> Auto reject list. Since it is the phone that is rejecting the call and not the service provider (Fido), the call will be forwarded to voicemail. You may still receive voicemail notifications.

There are paid apps that will show blocked numbers (for example, see here). However, I believe the apps would only work on the anonymous/private type calls and not the unavailable/unknown calls.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP
I believe that feature is called Call Privacy i'm not sure if its something available from the carriers for cell lines but a mod should be able to tell us. But if you are using an Android phone you can do this. Add a new contact name "Unknow" in the number field type in "RESTRICTED" you have to to it from your Google contacts page it can not be done from the phone because it would not let you type letters in the number field. Once its sync to your phone contacts open that contact go to more and hit add to auto reject list or sent to voicemail.

Hey BelaFlorentina!

Unwanted calls are really no fun :(, I get where your'e coming from!

We don't have a way to block these calls from coming in or to know the incoming number. In fact we don't provide the numbers of your incoming calls on your detailed invoice and this is for security and privacy reasons. The only way incoming numbers can be revealed is through a police warrant of subpoena.

Hope Kapable-K's suggestions help!

mattykay

You are absolutely wrong, This is NOT something that POLICE would do. 

If you use other service provider such as TELUS and BELL, they will offer you an option where people who have chosen to block their numbers could not go through your phone. Meaning when someone from a BLOCKED NUMBER intends to contact you, they will hear this recording that states, THIS CALLER CAN NOT RECEIVE CALLS FROM A BLOCKED NUMBER. The same message also advices the caller to try to either unblock his/her number, or try calling from a different line.

That being said, FIDO doesn't have this very very very basic option, which is UNBELIEVABLE !!! Specially now a day.