cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard up-sell from "Loyalty" dept

Hwr778
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

After a few missed calls because I was unavailable, I answered a call from 844-277-6920 (previously stored, known to call with offers).

The caller, obviously in an off-shore call centre and reading off a script, tried for over 30 mins to convince me to add a 2nd line. After I stated I had no family, and all my friends and coworkers already had cells, he still persisted. On and on. I asked if there was any retention extras available on my current line,  and that quickly ended the call with him telling me I would have to call *611.

I get it, but this was about as pushy as the bad used car salesman about to be axed.

4 REPLIES 4

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Hwr778,

I'm curious as to whether that phone call was actually from Fido. I understand the phone number belongs to Fido, however, spammers and scammers have started to spoof that phone number (see here).

I understand sometimes the various telemarketing teams can be insistent, however, what you describe seems a little too much so -- even for actual telemarketers.

I've said it before, I do not wish to make the outbound team's job any harder. They need to find a better way to reach customers -- a way in which customers can trust it's actually them.

That said, it's prudent to be vigilant because those spammers/scammers are often trying to get people to reveal their information.

Since March is Fraud Prevention Month: http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/eng/04333.html

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hwr778
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

The number presented as such, and I did not provide any information that would "describe" myself to them.  They did have my first and last name correct, so assuming that it was not a "deep dive" fraud and further assuming that Fido does not sell the information (and only uses it in-house, as they say they do), it "presented" as a legit call.

It just seemed that they really wanted to add a line to my account, and I am not sure if this is a legit current ongoing Fido "sales campaign" or not, to add new lines to existing accounts; they also attempted to upsell HomePhone after I indicated that I had no need for an additional mobile line.

That is why I posted here, to get more feedback from the rest of the community and see what the concensus was.

I do know that most of the time it takes a bit of "digging" thru an in-bound rep (IE calling to Fido) to get put thru to Loyalty/Rentention to try to get any deals which may be available.

Hey @Hwr778

Thanks for sharing all this! I have some questions for you :

• Did the caller present himself/herself to you? Give any information about the department they were working for?
  • Did they offer any special promotions or anything associated with the additional line?
  • And as you mentioned, it didn't look like you had to provide any personal information or anything like that?

If you'd like us to take a closer look at that you can contact us here or we can send you a PM on the Community if you prefer.

Let us know Smiley

Hwr778
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

Thanks @FidoCharles 

The caller said his name and "calling on behalf of Fido to existing customers like yourself about an exclusive new offer to add a second line for family or friend" .... not 100% verbatim, but general gist.

Deal, which I barely listened to (no target!) was the free phone on a 2 yr, and some lower than posted prices  (but likely $ same as I could get on my acct change plan price) as nothing was a stunning low rate. 

My info consisted of confirming my first and last name and that yes I was a Fido Cust, nothing further. 

No real need to dig deeper,  but it was just odd that there was the heavy press after at least 4 "I don't have anyone that would need a new line" replies from me. Then the home phone pitch. Seemed a hard press. I know they need completion numbers to pad their stats... lol