cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido XTRA Contest - does anyone actually win, or is it just a scam?

jpicktell-ca
I'm a participant level 1

Hello,

How come every time I enter one of Fido XTRA's "Contests" I never ever win anything, I never come even close, despite avid draw entering on my behalf? But what I do get, what I do notice, is every time I enter a draw/contest via my Fido app, I immediately start to get calls from random scam/fraud numbers.

I don't feel safe anymore to enter a Fido XTRA contest, I think they're fake and some sort of way to give out our client information, just like other contests we may enter in life that no one seems to win but all of our information ends up collected and into the wrong hands.

Thanks

36 REPLIES 36

@Mack97 good morning,  if you check the community page the winners of the Fido extra contests are listed by month and prizes won. You should check it out. Don't give up with entering, the contests are free and you never know, one of the next winners could be you. Good luck 👍 

PatríciaL

I can not find the names of anyone who has won the $20000? I doubt someone actually won one of those big prizes they announced if they won't disclose who won. Now the 1 year service might be a real contest. I also won $5 gift card to Best Buy, but that's about it 

Hey@ Gracken and @PatríciaL! We post our Fido Xtra winners here. 🙂

Gracken
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

As I have previously mentioned a first name and initial of a last name is not a verifiable person, and continuing to provide this as a solution does not show the level of respect that Fido members deserve. I'm sure by reading other posts that they are aware of the community winners page.

The fact that the community winners page doesn't provide a verifiable person is a weakness in the business model of your digitial contests. As a believer that employees generally like to do well for the company that they work for you could bring this up as an opportunity to increase community outreach and integrity in the Fido brand. Otherwise this issue will continue to arise among Fido users.

Hello DjBiggs89,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you haven't had much luck with the contests.

@DjBiggs89 wrote:

Kind of interesting how the only people who are saying otherwise are Fido moderators 🤔 ...

What you find interesting is likely a form of volunteer selection bias. Your assumption seems to be that since no actual winners have replied in this thread, then they aren't real. However actual winners don't generally go out searching forums or social media to complain that they haven't won anything. The vast majority of people posting in a thread referring to Does anyone actually win or is it just a SCAM would be those who haven't won anything. Those who have won a contest would know it's legitimate and feel no need to search out the forums (or other venues).

It's similar situation to those who equate quality of service or product to the number of online complaints. They liken a high percentage of online complaints as most customers having issues. While it's entirely possible that there are more complaints than praises posted online, that is not usually a true representation of the general public. People who are happy with their services or products rarely go searching online to post that they are satisfied. Sure, some people do feel it necessary to post praise, but it's a rarity.  On the other hand, people who are unhappy with a service or product are far more likely to go online to complain. As a result, the online posts are skewed towards a greater proportion of complaints than praise. However, that may only be a subset of the general population.

Best of luck in future contests 🍀

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Daphnerey

Selection bias your face! I and everyone I know have never ever known, heared, or read about anyone  who won anything in the Fido contests, so it's obviously fake! If there are real winners then how come Fido doesn't show them off on their pages instead they post seemingly random generated names of "past winners"! 

biggy514

I don't think anybody has won anything. Fido just says there's winners, but actually there's no real winners. It's advertising, and Fido is making themselves look good by saying they are generous and giving away free stuff, it's a marketing scheme. I've been entering every contest, break the wall, scratch the stupid box to get the dog, and daily logins for the last 2 years, and haven't won squat. 

Hi there @biggy514

Oh rest assured there are winners, by the thousands! You can see all the 2021 winners right here, on the Community homepage https://forums.fido.ca/t5/Apps/Fido-XTRA-contest-winners-2021/ta-p/155521 

If you visit the Community Library, in the Apps section, you'll find all the winners from 2019 and 2020 https://forums.fido.ca/t5/Apps/tkb-p/Apps@tkb 

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

how exactly does one come "close" to winning? If you don't win you lost. They don't send you a note telling you how close you were to winning. Frankly that would be worse then losing.

danchen647

Same here. I've been avidly entering for the draw contest almost weekly for about 2 years and never once have I gone close to winning any prize. It's starting to feel like a scam. 

Hi all, sorry you aren't winning any of the contests. The key is to just keep trying. I keep buying lottery tickets with the hope of winning,  but alas, I just get a 10 minutes of dreaming about what I would do if I won. It's a good dream.

The thing about contests is that we all want to win and we all enter. Odds of winning depends on how many people enter and how many times. Having said that, I did win a lunch bag last year on a spin to win. So it does happen.

Keep entering and keep dreaming. May the odds be in your favour,  cheers

FidoAllan

Hey @jpicktell-ca

I'm sad to hear this is the impression you have.

We definitely have winners (see here) and rest assured that these have no impact on the spam calls you receive. 

Just like you we find them really annoying and we’re working to combat them and to implement steps to reduce them. Everyone can be impacted, not only Fido customers. 

We definitely hope you will consider participating in our contests in the future. Smiley 

vinodkt7

Same here, trying since months but never won

Don't give up, @vinodkt7! There's new winners all the time, check out @FidoAllan's post above for a list of all the winners. 

Unit4hire

Complete and utter sham... Simple random name generator for these so called winners...

Stopped long ago with these "contests"... At least google opinion pays you for your time... These contests just track Fido's advertising and how many sheeps they can get to click links

Hi @Unit4hire

Sorry to hear you feel this way. There is winners so it's definitely not a scam. Like any contest, not everyone wins but the trick is to give it a try. 

Cheers.