cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido Soaks Customers on Data Overage Charges

jfklein
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

Data usage is extremely expensive in the Canadian market, especially when going over a plan data limit and incurring overage charges. It is also difficult, maybe impossible (at least on iPhones), to prevent this from happening, short of shutting off data usage completely.

So the question is: Why does Fido not provide the ability to cut-off data usage when the monthly data allowance on a post-paid plan is reached?

The answer: They want to soak their customers with exorbitant charges for exceeding their data limit.

Why do I say this? Because there is no other logical explanation.

Here are a few points to consider:

Is there a technical issue with providing a data cut-off? No. On pre-paid plans, data usage is automatically cut-off when the data amount purchased is exceeded. The only difference to Fido, that I can see, is that with a pre-paid plan they don’t have the ability to stick the customer with an extra bill.

One excuse given to me by Fido customer support is that they don’t provide a data cut-off because a customer might be in a critical situation where a data connection is needed. Horse dung!! A customer would handle these situations the same way as with a pre-paid plan - if data is cut off, he would simply call in to Fido and authorize additional data usage.

Customer support says, 'Well, we send you warning messages notifying you that you are near your data limit.' I my experience, this only happens sometimes. Is this warning system unreliable by design? I would say yes.

Other cell phone companies provide data cut-offs. Why not Fido? My opinion: they will only implement it when they realize they are losing customers and have squeezed every last penny out of this business model. Short sighted policy though. Customers can have long memories. I do. And when a company repeatedly hits me in the wallet, I remember for a long, long time.

I guess I could simply switch to a different provider. The Canadian market has a severe lack of competition so finding a good plan at a reasonable price is near impossible. But nonetheless, if I can’t find a way of once and for all stopping data overage charges with Fido, **bleep** right I am going dump them like a bad habit, and move on to a provider that doesn’t RIP ME OFF!!

***Edited to add Labels***

14 REPLIES 14