cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido Roaming on Caribbean Cruise

masood84143
I'm a participant level 1

I am going on Caribbean cruise and want to know if Fido roamong works on the cruise during sail. 

The cruise line os offering internat @ $17USD / day. Want to know if Fido has servece on the cruise and if yes, it's chearper then the cruise line ,, like what is the daily rate.

3 REPLIES 3

BobC83
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

To build on Cawtau's comment, the main issue is that you must connect through the ship's network, which then connects to a satellite network, when you're at sea. That's already pretty expensive before you add on the cruise line's profit margin.

It also means that the cruise line, I'm guessing run by Carnival (which owns almost every major cruise line), effectively has a monopoly over the airwaves in international water. I don't see them ever getting an agreement with comparatively small subscriber bases like Canada.

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Massod84143,

Welcome to the community!

Unfortunately, I have not been able to locate any updated information regarding roaming fees on cruises. It used to be considered a Premium Destination on the Fido Travel page. For example, see here. However, they seem to have updated the format and no longer have easy access to Premium Destination rates so they may have been updated.

The Wireless Maritime Services have provided an estimate on their usage rates here (see also here). You might consider contacting customer service for current rates. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

It would be important to note the Cellular at Sea service is available once the cruise ship reaches 12 nautical miles from land. If your phone connects service before the Cellular at Sea network is available, it will likely be connected to land service and incur Fido Roam charges.

Have a great trip and hope this helps 😀

Cheers

masood84143

Hello Cawtau,

Thankyou so much for your quick and detailed response. Much appreciate.

Regards