cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido Roam Charges when Roaming Data is OFF!

hk13456
I'm a contributor level 1

Hi guys,

I am another victim of these Fido Roam Charges while I was in Mexico from Jan 10 to Jan 18. I was conscious about turning off my Cellular Data as well as ensuring the Roaming Data is also off on my phone prior to boarding the flight to Mexico.

When I return and saw the Fido bill, I was surprised by these roaming charges. So I start googling and calling up Fido customer support.

From googling, I found out that this is a very common issue for iPhone users where there are still "leakage" of data usage when the phone has Cellular Data turned off.

The data usage was as follows (the 5M data usage on Jan 10 was prior to boarding the flight):

hk13456_0-1581472038093.png

And I was charged with the following:

hk13456_1-1581472134501.png

So I called customer support and tried to dispute these charges but end up unsuccessful.

My argument is as follows:
1. My Cellular Data as well as Roaming Data was switched off.
2. From the small data usage, it prove that I have no intention to use data at all during my trip and these are somehow glitches in the phone or system that I am not aware about.
3. I have not consented that I wish to use Fido Roam or activate Fido Roam
4. I was not informed that I have activated Fido Roam for each of the days I was charged

Below is their argument saying the charges are valid:
1. There was roaming data usage, it doesn't matter how much so I was charged for the full day
2. They have sent a text message explaining the charges and that Fido Roam was available if I were to use
3. I should have switch on airplane mode or pull out my sim card instead of just turning off cellular data and roaming data

The best they could do is to refund one day worth of charges ($12) and offer me extra data and free long distance call in the next cycle.

I just find this to be ridiculous how they can charge a full day for a 15kb usage (Jan 14th). Also by them sending you a text saying Fido Roam is available you automatically opted-in on the service and they can charge you the moment they detect any usage. They don't even tell you Fido Roam is activated for the full day.

After calling them and speaking to multiple reps with the same result, I now decided to switch to a different carrier and I will be filing a complaint to the Business Bureau and CRTC.

83 REPLIES 83

Hello CautiousUser,

Welcome to the community!

Thank you for your input. It is always good practice to be cautious and well-informed with regards to one's services. I never said opting-out of Fido Roam was a solution. I only presented it as an option if customers wished to do so.

Travelling with local SIMs has also always been an option as well. However, switching to local SIMs may not be a solution for everyone either. Yes, local SIMs tend to be cheaper because usage is not considered roaming. It does have drawbacks for some people, though. For one, the local SIM will have a local phone number. Anyone from Canada calling that phone number will likely be charged long-distance for the call. As well, making calls back to Canada will also likely be considered long-distance. In addition, people using local SIMs will have to forward that new number to their contacts. People who don't have that number will not be able to contact the travelling party. Also, depending on travel plans, people may need to forward multiple numbers to their contacts.

While less of an issue with the rising popularity of eSIMs, having to swap out physical SIMs means having to keep track of multiple SIM cards. If one loses their Fido SIM card, they will likely be required to purchase a replacement.

There has always been options for using mobile devices abroad. Some people do like to use local SIM cards. On the other hand, some people do find easier and beneficial to keep using their home provider services and roaming. What's best is up to the individual customer.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

hk13456

Please go and take your technnical argument with Apple.   I am not here to argue with you on why there is leakage or who fault it is that caused the leak.

This is about how Fido Roam charges a full day when there is no intended data use.  And how Fido does not inform user that there is a roaming data that cused Fido Roam to be charged.  And what Fido can do to help thir valuable customers. 

And yes, I am now aware I can opt out of Fido Roam or even ask Fido to disable all data (they said they cannot disable just roaming data, they have to disable all data on that sim).  Which will allow me to take roaming call in case of emergency but shield me from the data leak that I don't have a solution for.   And I can alway call them to re-enable data after my trip.

I agree with you, it is not the mobile provider's resppnibility to know how each device works.  But it is also not our responsibilty to figure out why there is data leak.  So please stop accusing us of not using the device properly.   So let's just accept there is some sort of possible data leak that we cant prevent.  So what can Fido do to help customer not face a hefty bill in this case for data leaks that they do not know or intend to use.

Most user will not know they need to call Fido to disable Fido Roam or Data on their sim the first time. 

Hello again,

I never said it was a customer's responsibility to figure out why there was a data leak (or unintended usage). I only noted that it is possible devices are using services without customers' knowledge and they need to be aware of that possibility. I said customers need to know how their devices behave (know unintended usage might be happening); not why it's happening. For yourself, now that you are aware, you are able to take measures to prevent that usage.

**edit** To be clear, I didn't bring it up to blame customers. You are the one who noted:

@hk13456 wrote:

...3.  Condider asking your overseas network partners why roaming data is used when celluar data is switched off...

For whatever reason, Apple allows some data to be used despite those settings disabled.**

Cheers

hk13456

You said it is our responsibility to know how our device behaves and it is our responsibility to ensure our device do not use the uninteded service (caused the data leak). 

So you are implying we need to figure out why there is a data leak and is our responsibility to prevent it.  If your attitude is not putting the blame on customers not using the device properly, I don't know what is. 

Again, that was Apple's suggestion when I inquire about the cause of the leak.  If you disagree, then please go talk to Apple.  I only relay what they suggest. 

Sean_mcnair
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3
Waste of time but what the heck... 

How could I interpret the FAQ I copied to mean that I'd be informed if I trigger roaming? The wikipedia definition of mobile roaming is connecting to another network, the FAQ states that I receive a txt when connecting to another network.  Seriously???? I'm supposed read some wifi exception into that FAQ line??? it isn't in any way even hinted at, no *, no small print...  And as I stated, I rarely or never called non-canadian # anyways, the wifi mumbojumbo isn't even relevent its just a distraction from how misleading the FAQ line I copied is. 

Your response was like a tech white paper, even referencing very long GSM publications outside Fido info.  Was I supposed to know all that tech before crossing the border? I am tech - dumb, I do not have a bachelor of Roaming degree, I am not a network engineer.  Does this justify blaming me or my phone for: Fido's misleading info, a false WRITTEN commitment from a Fido employee, failure to notify me of roaming in reasonable time? 

During your blaming, you mention a new fashion of blaming mobile providers.  If you are really concerned about this (clearly not), let me give you a tip:  #1: look at customer issues and ask if Fido could have done more to avoid this? Less time dismissing/blaming/accusing/justifying. more time improving the system and clarifying things for dummies like me #2: law/ethics 101:  A company is responsible for its employees.  Even if they make a mistake or damage, you can't charge the customer for it.  I don't think my written commitment was wrong but Fido should have honored not weaseled out.  It's a total lose-lose when companies don't follow basic law/ethics.  

Sad thing about all this is that when I cancelled the first 2 accounts, the cancelling agent was the first (of 5) who actually bothered to look at the info I gave without jumping to blaming/justifying and confirmed that yes I wasn't notified when I should have been and yes I was directly and clearly told I wouldn't be charged.  They forwarded to back office who will probably just blame me but anyways, this is just sad and disgraceful.  No more wasted time, lets see what how CCTS interprets this.

Hello again,

Firstly, I didn't make comment regarding your previous interaction with customer service because I cannot speak to what was or was not discussed.

Thank you for the one definition of roaming. Other definitions include:

Roaming refers to the service provided by a mobile phone company which makes it possible for you to use your mobile phone when you travel abroad. ~taken from here.

and from the CRTC:

When your phone is roaming, it means you’re able to use your mobile phone outside of your provider’s coverage area. ~taken from here.

That said, the only definition which matters is the one outlined by your service provider. If you choose to use a service, it is your responsibility to know its terms of service and limitations. You chose to use Wifi-calling, you should be familiar with the details in that Wifi-calling page.

I only provided the link to GSM roaming because you claimed you did not believe roaming usage was not in real-time. No one expects customers to have technical degrees in roaming. however, when you claim you don't believe what had been told to you, that warranted the reference.

Cheers

Lisa36
I'm a participant level 2

Help me understand this: I turn off my Data Roam....Put my phone on airplane mode....do not agree to Roam yet when I use the WiFi ONLY in my rental in Mexico, if a SPAM PHONE CALL comes in to my voicemail I get charged $14?! I have 2 phones on my account and have just gotten a HUGE bill.

Blueevy123

I am glad to know that I am not the only one who felt that Fido is a scam when it comes to roaming charges. I got $210 new my bill for NO SERVICE. They don't even ask for your authorization. They charge you based on Cellular roaming turned on on your phone. PLEASE BEWARE this company. I am going to file a complaint to consume affair to get back to them. I am highly disappointed and am switching the service. Hope someone will read this and get benefits out of it. 

Hello Blueevy123,

I replied to your other post here.

I understand you feel the issue is with Fido, however, you should note that if your device used services (even without your intention), you would have incurred roaming charges with the other cellular providers as well.

As mentioned in my other post, in order to prevent roaming charges, it is usually recommended to disable data and roaming data. However, it should be noted that disabling roaming data does not prevent roaming for voice or text messaging. It would also be recommended to keep Airplane or Flight modes enabled for the duration of trips. You could manually enable Wifi when required. I understand doing so would also prevent incoming SMS or emergency calls. However, people need to know how their devices behave if they intend on keeping their devices available for those services.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

gloriaP

You aren't a Fido employee, possibly a Fido sheep. 

Hello GloriaP,

@gloriaP wrote:

You aren't a Fido employee, possibly a Fido sheep. 

Did that comment make you feel better? 🙄

Sorry to hear you've incurred unexpected roaming charges again.

@gloriaP wrote:

Explain how people are being charged when roaming is turned off and airplane mode is on.

From what you noted in your other post, your phone connected to the US cellular towers before roaming data was turned off and Airplane mode enabled. By the way, there is no setting to entirely disable roaming on most modern smartphones.

@gloriaP wrote:

Absolutely false!....

....We both got the "welcome to roaming text" before we crossed the border, that why he made all those changes to our iPhones....

It's likely your device also used some data when it connected to that US cellular tower before those settings were changed. Obviously, I don't know which dates you travelled and on which day you incurred the roaming charge. However, since you only were charged roaming for one day, it seemingly appears as though the Airplane mode -- having subsequently been enabled -- was working as intended.

@gloriaP wrote:

....It's apparent that Fido is arbitrarily charging people this roaming fee...

As previously mentioned, the mobile providers can only know when a device connects to a foreign cellular tower and its usage. Fido would not even know you were close to the border (or abroad) if your phone did not connect to the US tower. I have previously stated that it is the customers' responsibility to know how their devices behave abroad. I understand you may not have intended on using services, however, your device has been known to unintentionally use data when roaming (see here). You can argue whether they should charge roaming fees for such data, however, data is being sent and/or received. That is not arbitrary.

** edit** It should be mentioned that receiving SMS does not initiate Fido Roam. So merely receiving that Welcome to the US message does not necessarily incur roaming charges (see here). If your spouse's device did not use data when it connected to the US tower, that could explain why they did not incur a roaming charge **

With all that being said. you note your devices connected to the US cellular tower before crossing the border. There should be an accidental roaming solution in place for those who live or travel to areas near the US border (see here). If your device did connect before you crossed the border, you might consider contacting customer service so they can identify the culprit tower. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

gloriaP

Absolutely false!  I was with my spouse (who was with Rogers at the time of travel); he was the one who changed the settings to both our phones before crossing the border to the United States. Turn off cellular, turn off roaming, and turn ON airplane mode. We both got the "welcome to roaming text" before we crossed the border, that why he made all those changes to our iPhones. Fido charged me roaming (for 1 day) and Rogers did not. 

khouya
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi @Blueevy123 

Fido is a great company, i think fido can resolve your billing issues. 

Have a nice one Smiley 

Hey @Lisa36,

Please reach out to our customer care team so an agent can review this with you !

Lisa83

Customer service are useless! Just spent almost 2 hours and not resolved. Wouldn't even let me escalate it. I'll be filing with the crtc ans switching companies 

Laly1990
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

This is absolutely ridiculous!

I am in the exact same situation today and will be disputing the charges as well. I'm also ready to drop this carrier should they refuse to waive the extra $75 in roaming fees they charged me without my consent. Like you, I have turned off my cellular data on the plane to my destination and ensured that it stayed OFF for the whole trip (I would check multiple times a day every day and especially after receiving their notification that I was roaming and it was always off).

From my research online, there have been many customers complaining about this recurring issue in the past but the reps I talked to pretended they were unaware of it all so that they can keep stealing your money and never actually get down to work to fix what really is a TECHNICAL ISSUE on their end that needs to be addressed ASAP. Way to go Fido! 

I also find it frankly insulting that they had the nerve to suggest removing the sim card from your phone as a solution: "No Fido, you fix YOUR technical problem and I get to use my phone and FREE WIFI with cellular data/roaming off and I don't get wrongfully charged for roaming after my trip. That's the REAL solution. I'll be getting a call from their head office this week. They better not use the same argument with me. It ain't gonna fly. 

Lisa36

The exact same thing has just happened with me but I have TWO accounts....me and my husband so I just hot a HUGE roaming bill for 2 weeks in Mexico with my Data Roam and Data turned off!! WiFi on in our rental but never agreed to Roam

Hello @Laly1990,

Welcome to the community! 

It would also depend on if you're referring to your data roaming or simply your roaming settings. 

Even if your data roaming is turned off, once you either receive a phone call or a text while away from Canada, it would trigger the fidoROAM add-on.

Feel free to contact us over these methods if you need help. 

Denscott

This is unacceptable. In no other mobile provider does an INCOMING call activate roaming automatically. To state otherwise is plan lying. How do I know? I work in the USA and commute there daily from Canada and with 2 other Canadian providers this NEVER happned. Only with Fido, therefore it is a Fido only problem. 

FidoRanya
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @hk13456 , 

Thanks for sharing your experience with us! That's not what we want for you, I assure you. Unexpected bills are never fun, especially when coming back from a trip.

If you don't want to use Fido Roam, you can unenroll by contacting customer service. If you do, you'll be charged pay-per-use for any usage.

If you don't want to incur any charges, you can always remove your SIM card from your phone and store it somewhere safe. While turning off data roaming normally does the trick, removing your sim from your device is a safer bet.

That being said, you can reach out to us using these methods and we'll be happy to review the situation with you.

hk13456

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, that's not what we want for you I assure you.. Unexpected bills are never fun, specially when coming back from a trip!

Then why do Fido charge a full day when only 15kb of data was used?  And then refuse to reverse the charges after understanding they were unexpected?

If you don't want to use Fido Roam, you can unenroll by contacting customer service, in that case you'll be charged pay per use if there's any usage.

If you don't want to incur any charges, you can always remove your SIM card from your phone and store it somewhere safe. While turning off data roaming normally does the trick, removing your sim from your device is a safer bet.

I thank you for the advice.  If I were to know this earlier, this would not have happened.  So, how about reversing those charges on my bill and I will take your advice to prevent this from happening in the future.  I don't think it is fair to expect customers to know this ahead of time.