cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra charges on bill for 411 assistance

21A21B
I'm a participant level 3

Hi got extra charges saying called 411 assistance call for 3:50$ what is that?.for 1:00 min is it just like that or what.

14 REPLIES 14

DarbyR
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I never knew the charge for 411 was so high, my bad for not doing the research though. On my last bill I was assessed $12.75 for three calls to 411.  The reason there were three calls was because the first two times the call was dropped. Is there a record at their end that it was the same number being sought on each call (within a 3-4 minute time span), and how do I apply for a reversal of two of those charges?  Thank you. 

Hello @DarbyR and welcome to the Community.

For any inquiry concerning your invoice, it will be necessary to contact our customer service.

You can find all the way to reach us here.

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @21A21B,

Welcome to the Community Smiley

A charge of $3.50 applies / call (and not per minute) when you contact the 411 Canada Wide Directory Assistance to request for an address or a phone number.

The call transaction shows up as 1 minute on your bill simply to indicate that it was 1 call placed to 411, so 1 transaction.

If your call gets automatically connected to the number you were searching for after your 411 call, keep in mind that airtime could also be deducted, depending on your current plan.

Let me know if you have other questions.

21A21B

Good to know but if you are looking it on wifi why are you still getting charged.

Hello 21A21B,

Welcome to the community!

@FidoClaudia  Have the charges for calling 411 increased? According to the website, it should be $2.50 per call (plus airtime and long distance, if applicable).

411.jpg

Taken from here

Cheers

21A21B

Some one gave my number to do fraud and I keep on getting calls from different agencies looking for some Asian guy. 

@21A21B Do you mean that you called 411 through WiFi Calling on your phone?

As for those calls you keep receiving, sorry to hear that! We could put a stop to this by changing your phone number. Would this be an option for you?

If yes, you can change your number for free through your online account under Services - Mobile - Change my number.

Let me know Smiley

21A21B

I have only talk and text don't have data and I remembered that once I opened 411 at home using wifi to check the number.

@21A21B wrote:

...I remembered that once I opened 411 at home using wifi to check the number.

Hello again,

I assume you mean you searched 411 using a web browser via Wifi to check the number. What could have happened is one of the 411 links was actually tel:411 rather than a http:// for a web page. Clicking on that link caused the phone to dial the number. Some phones might just send the number to the phone's dialer, however, some phones might automatically dial those types of links. Just a thought...

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

khaledk
I'm a participant level 2

Gentlemen, good morning,

i hope all are fine,

i know that this discussion is old, but i don't want to open another topic for the same subject, that is why i am writing here. i hope that someone will give us more explanation about this.

as the people mentioned in the topics, i have received an extra charge on my bill (3.50CAD) because i called 411.

it worth to mention that i really was not obliged to call this number to search for an info, i could check it over the internet or even ask someone next to me. BUT,

since i am new in this country and i did not know that we must pay extra charges for the 411, i called with confidance because my pakage was unlimited calling minutes canada wide.

so here, i have called FIDO call center asking about this issue. but since i did not understand anything from what they said, i have made a research over the internet about 411 and i did not see anything about paying extra charges.

so, long story short, could you please refer us to a link mentioning some details info for this kind of charges? is there any list we can check, to know which numbers cost extra charges if we call it?

thank you for your understanding.

i am lost in this matter and i hope someone could give me a good explanation.

khaled

Hello Khaledk,

Welcome to the Canada and the community!

Some of the services, like 411, are provided by third parties. That is, they are not provided by Fido or Rogers. You can access those services using your Fido phone, but another company is charging you the fees for the service. It shows up on your bill because that is how they collect their fees.

You can view some of the Quickdials and associated charges here

**edit** To which Province did you move? This website, intended for those moving to Ontario, confirms that calling 411 is not free. That website may also have some other useful information for those newly arrived to Canada. If you're in a different Province, there may be similar websites specific to your Province.**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

khaledk

hello Cawtau,

indeed, your answer is very helpful. thank you for explaning the situation and for providing a link which give us some details about his matter.

appreciate this a lot.

actually i don't know why the call center agent told me to search google for this matter instead of guiding me to fido website.

anyway, thanks again.

i am in montreal by the way.

khaled

Hello Community Smiley 

I thought I would jump back on here to update the information. 

The 4-1-1 directory assistance is now $4.25 per call, airtime and long distance (if applicable) charges apply.

The information is still available here.

Hey @Cawtau

Thanks for pointing this out! I'll make sure I send it to the right department to have it updated Smiley

Yes, the 411 fee changed from $2.50 to $3.50 for both postpaid and prepaid customers as of February 9, 2016. 

Notifications were sent out to all our customers during the months of November and December 2015, through their bills and by text message.

Thanks again for flagging it Smiley