Data only plan for Smartphone

I'm a Participant Level 2 Rossei
I'm a Participant Level 2

Data only plan for Smartphone

Hello All,

This is my first post in the Fido community although I've been a Fido customer for years. Recently, I got interested in the Fido Data Plan for Tablets (3 GB for $15/mo) for my Samsung S5 phone (T-Mobile unlocked). Currently, I don't have any plan (neither talk-text nor data) for this phone. I've 2 questions re: this though:

1) Since the SIM is meant for tablets, will it work for my phone? I've gathered mixed answers online so far. Even if it works, do I need a tablet with SIM slot first for activation? How does it work?

2) If it works on S5, will I be able to use apps like Skype, Viber or FB Messenger for incomeing/outgoing calls for free? Or, they will incur extra charges? 

My primary usage would be online browsing, facebooking, emails, occasional youtube videos etc, not much into calls & texts. Thanks in advance.  

Accepted Solution

Re: Data only plan for Smartphone

Hello @Rossei,

Welcome to the community!

@Rossei wrote:

Hello All,

1) Since the SIM is meant for tablets, will it work for my phone? I've gathered mixed answers online so far. Even if it works, do I need a tablet with SIM slot first for activation? How does it work?

Yes it will work in your phone, you do not need a tablet to activate the service. Just purchase the SIM and activate it and insert it in your phone. 

Your phone will also need to have the correct APN settings for Fido you can find that information and how to set it up here.

2) If it works on S5, will I be able to use apps like Skype, Viber or FB Messenger for incomeing/outgoing calls for free? Or, they will incur extra charges? 

You can use any apps that requires data and make and receive calls through those apps and it will only use your data.

Keep in mind that the SIM does have an actual phone number and you can make and receive calls over the network and you will incur charges if you, also outgoing text you will be charge but incoming is free.

You can have Fido put a block on all calls and outgoing text messages so that does not happen to you.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 39
I'm a Participant Level 2 newbie88

Hello,

Thank you for your reply!

I received my first bill with 6 sent text charges, ($1.50).  Two of those were sent from my FIDO number before I went, "oops, let's try the other app".  So, I know those charges are correct, and my mistake.

The other 4 texts were from 3rd Party App "TextNow".  (Literally, "Test.  Test test.  Test 3. Testy").  It's currently my default messaging app, and has it's own phone number.  I assumed that with it's own number, it would not incur text message fees, and was using the data only. 

I've only been (rarely) texting 3 months, or so, over WiFi, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  (95% of my usage is over WiFi, regardless).  I'm not sure if I should have FIDO block outgoing texts to avoid extra costs, and if this would affect 3rd Party Apps from being able to text, too.

I guess I'm trying to identify if 3rd Party Apps use FIDO text, hence fees applied, or if they're truly independent and should be safe to use without incurring fees.  

Thanks for any info if anyone can add to this.  Happy 

(Yes, I am a dinosaur, and rarely text/call/message, etc, so I know next to nothing...lol!)

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 39
Former Moderator FidoMaria
Former Moderator

@newbie88 I don't know much about the app TextNow, but usually 3rd party apps would use data and not your cell service.

Do you know if it was stated somewhere in the details of the app what network it uses?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 39
I'm a Participant Level 2 newbie88

Hi, thanks for trying to help.  I'm going to assume I did something wrong in my initial set up and testing.  I've spoken to a few other people, and they assure me TextNow works over data and should NOT incur texting fees.  I normally use it over WiFi, but was trying to set it up for emergency use on the FIDO plan.

https://www.textnow.com/

FYI, I used their free app -- sorry, I honestly don't know much about them, either...lol!  I don't think the text fees I was charged is due to the network they use, but somehow I messed up my settings.  I have very little knowledge w/respect to cell phones, so it's a steep learning curve for me to get everything working properly.  I was SO SURE I had everything set up right before I made the test texts...sigh.  

I'll try another test text towards the end of my current billing cycle...hopefully, I'll have found out where I made my mistake, by then.  (Er, not sure if it matters, but TextNow texts use their own phone number, and not the FIDO phone number, so this is why I thought it would not be charged the $0.25 text fee).

Thanks again!  Happy

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 13 of 39

Let us know how it goes when you test it out again! Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 14 of 39
I'm a Participant Level 1 vitalyr
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hello- this is related to data plan.

Trying to setup forwarding; as seen on the screenshot, it shows that it is possible for 20c per min.

The codes (*21*N#) do not work, customer service of no help. How can I do that? Thanks 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 15 of 39
I'm a Participant Level 1 kmak
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hello 

You can use any apps that requires data and make and receive calls through those apps and it will only use your data.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 16 of 39
Former Moderator FidoPamela
Former Moderator

Hey @kmak

Thanks for reaching out. Fido does not block VoIP service providers on the Fido LTE network.

We'll send you a PM here so we can take a closer look at what's going on there. 

Chat soon Smiley 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 17 of 39
I'm a Participant Level 2 hyysarah

My understanding from this related post is that the tablet data only plan also works on smartphone.  Can someone please advise if it works on any type of smartphones?  Mine is iPhone 6x.  I called Fido customer service and was told that it won’t work on smartphones. If I put the SIM card which is issued for the table data plan into my iPhone, I will be charged $1/minute pay-as-you-go rate.  Is that true?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 18 of 39

Hey there @hyysarah

Welcome to the community Smiley

The Data only plan is not indented to be used on a mobile device, which is why we do not offer this plan with cellphones and only tablets. To answer your question, if you do use calling service while on this plan you will be billed $1/minute for each call (which is usually the case when you insert your SIM in a phone).

Charges will also apply for sent text messages, the pay per use rate will vary based on the destination. For a mobile phone within Canada it's $0.25/text and $0.45/text for international mobile phone numbers.

Hope this clarifies, and let us know if you have any questions.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 19 of 39
I'm a Participant Level 2 hyysarah

Hi @FidoSaad,

Thanks for the information.  So it means the tablet data plan will also work on iPhone.  The charge will occur only when using calling/texting service.  Please kindly confirm my understanding.  

Thanks

Sarah 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 20 of 39