Data only plan for Smartphone

I'm a Participant Level 2 Rossei
I'm a Participant Level 2

Data only plan for Smartphone

Hello All,

This is my first post in the Fido community although I've been a Fido customer for years. Recently, I got interested in the Fido Data Plan for Tablets (3 GB for $15/mo) for my Samsung S5 phone (T-Mobile unlocked). Currently, I don't have any plan (neither talk-text nor data) for this phone. I've 2 questions re: this though:

1) Since the SIM is meant for tablets, will it work for my phone? I've gathered mixed answers online so far. Even if it works, do I need a tablet with SIM slot first for activation? How does it work?

2) If it works on S5, will I be able to use apps like Skype, Viber or FB Messenger for incomeing/outgoing calls for free? Or, they will incur extra charges? 

My primary usage would be online browsing, facebooking, emails, occasional youtube videos etc, not much into calls & texts. Thanks in advance.  

Accepted Solution

Re: Data only plan for Smartphone

Hello @Rossei,

Welcome to the community!

@Rossei wrote:

Hello All,

1) Since the SIM is meant for tablets, will it work for my phone? I've gathered mixed answers online so far. Even if it works, do I need a tablet with SIM slot first for activation? How does it work?

Yes it will work in your phone, you do not need a tablet to activate the service. Just purchase the SIM and activate it and insert it in your phone. 

Your phone will also need to have the correct APN settings for Fido you can find that information and how to set it up here.

2) If it works on S5, will I be able to use apps like Skype, Viber or FB Messenger for incomeing/outgoing calls for free? Or, they will incur extra charges? 

You can use any apps that requires data and make and receive calls through those apps and it will only use your data.

Keep in mind that the SIM does have an actual phone number and you can make and receive calls over the network and you will incur charges if you, also outgoing text you will be charge but incoming is free.

You can have Fido put a block on all calls and outgoing text messages so that does not happen to you.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 39

Hey @Ukrop

Yes, the unlimited text message option is compatible with the data only plan

Hope this helps.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 31 of 39
I'm a Participant Level 2 Ukrop

Thanks @FidoKenny !

One more question:

I just found out about Value Packs - http://www.fido.ca/web/content/options/valuepacks&cm_sp=Consumer-_-Q2_valuepack_16_EN-_-Shop_main

Do you think it's possible to add this Value Pack to Data-Only plan?

Thanks again!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 32 of 39

@Ukrop

I will need to confirm this information with our support. I will also need to double check the information about the text messages and make sure that it's compatible with the Data Only plan.

I will get back to you here as soon as I have news on this Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 33 of 39
I'm a Participant Level 2 Ukrop

Thanks @FidoKenny !

Will wait for your reply

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 34 of 39
MVP
MVP

Hello Ukrop,

Welcome to the community!

While we wait for verification from FidoKenny, you should note that the link you provided above appears to be an older version of the webpage. You can view the current page here under Voicemail. With the current value packs, it does not appear like the WhoCalled feature is available anymore. In addition, it appears that Device protection is no longer available with the value pack and is a standalone add-on.

You should also note that you do get charged $1 per minute for calls with a Data-only plan. That would include checking your voicemail from your device. In addition, the Premium long-distance rates would be in addition to the regular airtime rate.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 35 of 39
Highlighted

Hello @Ukrop.

Unfortunately, the text message add-on as well as the value pack won't work with our current data only plan.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 36 of 39
I'm a Participant Level 3 flutterwave1
I'm a Participant Level 3

You can always use a 3rd party app for text and calls Like textplus keeping your number is just $3/year you get texts and calls through data and wifi

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 37 of 39
I'm a Participant Level 1 Carlsburg
I'm a Participant Level 1

If I want to block the call and outgoing text message for Data Only Plan, could I call 611 free of charge?  Will I be hit with the $10 service call charge?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 38 of 39

Hey @Carlsburg!

That's not something you can do via our self-serve options so no fee applies; you can definitely call and have it done for free Smiley

In terms of the $10 fee, it only applies for : 

• Making a payment
  • Updating method of payment
  • Updated contact information (email, phone)
  • Changing billing language
  • Resetting Voice Messaging password
  • Changing Name Display for Call Display

I hope that helps! Let us know if you prefer that we send you a PM here on the Community.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 39 of 39