Data only plan for Smartphone

I'm a Participant Level 2 Rossei
I'm a Participant Level 2

Data only plan for Smartphone

Hello All,

This is my first post in the Fido community although I've been a Fido customer for years. Recently, I got interested in the Fido Data Plan for Tablets (3 GB for $15/mo) for my Samsung S5 phone (T-Mobile unlocked). Currently, I don't have any plan (neither talk-text nor data) for this phone. I've 2 questions re: this though:

1) Since the SIM is meant for tablets, will it work for my phone? I've gathered mixed answers online so far. Even if it works, do I need a tablet with SIM slot first for activation? How does it work?

2) If it works on S5, will I be able to use apps like Skype, Viber or FB Messenger for incomeing/outgoing calls for free? Or, they will incur extra charges? 

My primary usage would be online browsing, facebooking, emails, occasional youtube videos etc, not much into calls & texts. Thanks in advance.  

Accepted Solution

Re: Data only plan for Smartphone

Hello @Rossei,

Welcome to the community!

@Rossei wrote:

Hello All,

1) Since the SIM is meant for tablets, will it work for my phone? I've gathered mixed answers online so far. Even if it works, do I need a tablet with SIM slot first for activation? How does it work?

Yes it will work in your phone, you do not need a tablet to activate the service. Just purchase the SIM and activate it and insert it in your phone. 

Your phone will also need to have the correct APN settings for Fido you can find that information and how to set it up here.

2) If it works on S5, will I be able to use apps like Skype, Viber or FB Messenger for incomeing/outgoing calls for free? Or, they will incur extra charges? 

You can use any apps that requires data and make and receive calls through those apps and it will only use your data.

Keep in mind that the SIM does have an actual phone number and you can make and receive calls over the network and you will incur charges if you, also outgoing text you will be charge but incoming is free.

You can have Fido put a block on all calls and outgoing text messages so that does not happen to you.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 39
I'm a Participant Level 1 kmak
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hello 

You can use any apps that requires data and make and receive calls through those apps and it will only use your data.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 16 of 39
Former Moderator FidoPamela
Former Moderator

Hey @kmak

Thanks for reaching out. Fido does not block VoIP service providers on the Fido LTE network.

We'll send you a PM here so we can take a closer look at what's going on there. 

Chat soon Smiley 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 17 of 39
I'm a Participant Level 2 hyysarah

My understanding from this related post is that the tablet data only plan also works on smartphone.  Can someone please advise if it works on any type of smartphones?  Mine is iPhone 6x.  I called Fido customer service and was told that it won’t work on smartphones. If I put the SIM card which is issued for the table data plan into my iPhone, I will be charged $1/minute pay-as-you-go rate.  Is that true?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 18 of 39

Hey there @hyysarah

Welcome to the community Smiley

The Data only plan is not indented to be used on a mobile device, which is why we do not offer this plan with cellphones and only tablets. To answer your question, if you do use calling service while on this plan you will be billed $1/minute for each call (which is usually the case when you insert your SIM in a phone).

Charges will also apply for sent text messages, the pay per use rate will vary based on the destination. For a mobile phone within Canada it's $0.25/text and $0.45/text for international mobile phone numbers.

Hope this clarifies, and let us know if you have any questions.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 19 of 39

Hi @FidoSaad,

Thanks for the information.  So it means the tablet data plan will also work on iPhone.  The charge will occur only when using calling/texting service.  Please kindly confirm my understanding.  

Thanks

Sarah 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 20 of 39

That's correct Sarah! It will work on a phone but if any usage other than data is made you will be billed.

Let us know if you have other questions!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 21 of 39

Thanks for confirming.  I will proceed with subscribing the plan.  Thank you very much for your help.   

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 22 of 39

Anytime! That's what the Community is here for Smiley 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 23 of 39
I'm a Participant Level 2 Xohaib

What about incoming texts and phone calls? Are they free ?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 24 of 39
I'm a Participant Level 3 flutterwave1
I'm a Participant Level 3

Unfortunately no but you can use voip services like text now for calls and texts

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 25 of 39

How much would it cost to receive calls and text in that case ?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 26 of 39
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3 flutterwave1
I'm a Participant Level 3

Made and received calls cost 1$/min and out going texts are 25 cents per texts but incoming texts are free

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 27 of 39

Thanks alot

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 28 of 39
MVP
MVP

Hello Xohaib,

Welcome to the community!

In addition to the rates mentioned above, you should note that Long distance is additional 45¢ per minute within Canada. Also, sending MMS to a Canadian wireless customer costs 50¢, while to a US or International wireless customer costs 75¢ (see here).

Hope this helps :Smiley:

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 29 of 39
I'm a Participant Level 2 Ukrop

Quick question:

Is it possible to add unlimited text add-on for $10 to data only plan?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 30 of 39