Data only plan for Smartphone

I'm a Participant Level 2 Rossei
I'm a Participant Level 2

Data only plan for Smartphone

Hello All,

This is my first post in the Fido community although I've been a Fido customer for years. Recently, I got interested in the Fido Data Plan for Tablets (3 GB for $15/mo) for my Samsung S5 phone (T-Mobile unlocked). Currently, I don't have any plan (neither talk-text nor data) for this phone. I've 2 questions re: this though:

1) Since the SIM is meant for tablets, will it work for my phone? I've gathered mixed answers online so far. Even if it works, do I need a tablet with SIM slot first for activation? How does it work?

2) If it works on S5, will I be able to use apps like Skype, Viber or FB Messenger for incomeing/outgoing calls for free? Or, they will incur extra charges? 

My primary usage would be online browsing, facebooking, emails, occasional youtube videos etc, not much into calls & texts. Thanks in advance.  

Accepted Solution

Re: Data only plan for Smartphone

Hello @Rossei,

Welcome to the community!

@Rossei wrote:

Hello All,

1) Since the SIM is meant for tablets, will it work for my phone? I've gathered mixed answers online so far. Even if it works, do I need a tablet with SIM slot first for activation? How does it work?

Yes it will work in your phone, you do not need a tablet to activate the service. Just purchase the SIM and activate it and insert it in your phone. 

Your phone will also need to have the correct APN settings for Fido you can find that information and how to set it up here.

2) If it works on S5, will I be able to use apps like Skype, Viber or FB Messenger for incomeing/outgoing calls for free? Or, they will incur extra charges? 

You can use any apps that requires data and make and receive calls through those apps and it will only use your data.

Keep in mind that the SIM does have an actual phone number and you can make and receive calls over the network and you will incur charges if you, also outgoing text you will be charge but incoming is free.

You can have Fido put a block on all calls and outgoing text messages so that does not happen to you.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 39
I'm a Legend Level 1
I'm a Legend Level 1
Solution

Hello @Rossei,

Welcome to the community!

@Rossei wrote:

Hello All,

Yes it will work in your phone, you do not need a tablet to activate the service. Just purchase the SIM and activate it and insert it in your phone. 

Your phone will also need to have the correct APN settings for Fido you can find that information and how to set it up here.

You can use any apps that requires data and make and receive calls through those apps and it will only use your data.

Keep in mind that the SIM does have an actual phone number and you can make and receive calls over the network and you will incur charges if you, also outgoing text you will be charge but incoming is free.

You can have Fido put a block on all calls and outgoing text messages so that does not happen to you.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 39
I'm a Participant Level 2 Rossei

Thanks KAPABLE-K for your detailed response. I can go forward buying the SIM now. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 39
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

In addition, the 3GB $15 (tablet) data-only plan is only available to existing postpaid customers with a wireless plan (voice only, data only, Fido Home Phone and prepaid plans not eligible). That is, you must have a wireless account with voice+data plan already to qualify for a data-only plan at Fido.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 39
I'm a Participant Level 2 fred52

Now I am wondering: a classic mobile phone plan is needed to be eligible to the flex data plan, but do you lose both if you terminate your phone plan?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 39
Highlighted
Former Moderator FidoMaria
Former Moderator

Hi @fred52 & welcome to the Community!

If you cancel your mobile plan, you'd also need to cancel your data-only line. Let me know if you have any other questions. Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 39
I'm a Participant Level 2 fred52

Hello!  Thanks for the answer, this was not mentioned on the website or by people in fido stores.  Good to know exactly how things work!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 39
Former Moderator FidoMaria
Former Moderator

@fred52 You're welcome!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 39
I'm a Participant Level 2 newbie88

Hi,

My situation is very similar to the orginal poster's:  data only plan for a smartphone.  I use a 3rd party app for my rare phone calls, (ie:  hangouts...so, free calls, since the app uses data).

I'm a little confused regarding texting charges.  If I use a 3rd party app, (ie:  textnow, fongo, whatsapp), and NOT the phone's text messanger, will there be additonal charges?  I thought that the 3rd party app would NOT incur fees because it uses data, and has a different phone number than my FIDO number.

Is this correct?

Thank you.  

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 39

Hey @newbie88,

Welcome to the Community!

If the Third Party App uses the data channel to send those text messages, then no additional fees will apply. It's always best to double check that in the App's info.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 39