cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data count not accurate? or is it a scam?

jayeparrilla
I'm a participant level 3

Hi,

I'm just going to get straight to the point. I'm with Fido since 2012. It's my first service provider since I came to Canada. You can check my records, it will show i've never missed a payment for the past 6 years i've been with Fido. I speak highly of Fido all the time most especially to new immigrants arriving in Canada who came from the same country as I.

I used to have 6 gb of data for the longest time not until I got my iPhone X on April 2018 and finally decided to let go of my old plan which I held on to cause I know I was getting a good deal. Now, I have 10gb a month. And I thought this will be a lot coming from only having 6gb of data a month. However, I notice lately that my data are catching up on me, since April when I got the plan. I've been struggling to have my data enough for the whole month. I turn off my cellular data option on my phone most of the day and just turn it on only when I need it. I thought that would make a difference since I never used to do that when I still had 6gb. But no.

This is where it gets interesting. I'm now in a cottage far from the city. Klincardine, Ontario. No service here. We arrived at around 4.30 pm September 1, 2018. No data. No service. i put my phone into Airplane Mode. I checked it this morning (approximately 9am, Sept 2.) It had a little bit less than 4 gb left. Mind you I had my phone in airplane mode this entire time. And now it's currently 12am of Sept 3. And I checked it (through my fido my account in my pc). and I only have 2.76 gb left. Am I missing out on something here? I don't know what's happening actually. I don't want to assume something bad but will anybody try to explain this to me?

As I repeat, i've been a solid customer since 2012. Shouldn't you guys try and keep your loyal customers happy? It just disappointing time and time again. I hope I get a resolution from this.

Thank you fido.

11 REPLIES 11

Brendenns
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

I know how this feels and I glad others have said the same. I've been with chatr for 5 years at 5gb and than the last 2 years at 8gb. And on plan of 5 or 8gb not once did I go over my data. Than I switch to fido to get faster internet and I get a 20gb plan knowing that's going to be plenty and within the first 12 days I had hit 12gb of usage. That means I know for a fact there's no way that can be accurate as I've never gone over 5gb in 30 days of usage 

halleyduran
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I thought I was the only one experiencing this. I started with 5GB plan way back 2009. I used to have at least 1GB left of unsused data at the end of my billing cycle then. I was tricked last 2018 and was convinced to switched to a "better" plan with 6GB of data. I noticed that I started to get overage charge with my new plan. I still use the same apps and totally  no change in my data usage. The only change is that I have a WiFi connection at work now which I use when Im at work and the "5 extra hours of data". Upgraded to 8GB 2 months ago and guess what? my usage is at least 500MB a day. I am just amazed with how my data plan improved over the past 10 years.

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

hey there @jayeparrilla,

Welcome to the community Smiley

Thank you very much for your loyalty and it's greatly appreciated to see long term customers like you enjoying most of the services provided by us. We'll be taking the time to get better idea on what happened here.

I'd also like to clarify that the Fido mobile app or your usage on Fido.ca will always be updated 12 hours later (after the data session is over). Then again if you have no service or connection due to being on airplane mode, data usage will not occur.

You can reach out to us at any of these channels so we can go over the data usage on your account. Alternatively, we can send you a PM here if you prefer.

In the meantime, since you've recently gotten a new device let's take a look at your device's settings :

1. Can you make sure that your Wi-Fi assist is off? Simply go to Settings > Mobile data > Scroll down and turn the option off
  2. Turn off automatic app updates. Go to Settings > iTunes & App Store > Under Automatic Downloads, turn off the toggle next to Updates.
  3. Under the same section, you can restrict downloads to Wi-Fi only by toggling off > Use Cellular Data
  4. You can also view the data usage made by each application by going to Settings > Mobile Data > Scroll down to view the current usage for each app.
  5. Again under the same section, you can toggle off each application to restrict it's mobile data usage.

Hope this helps, and let us know if you have any questions.

jayeparrilla

Hi Saad,

Thank you for the quick response. I know that there’s a 12 hour lag in the data count in the app and in Fido My Account, however as I stated in my previous message that my phone was in Airplane mode since 4pm of September 1st, 2018. We’re still at the cottage (7am, September 4, 2018) so it’s still on airplane mode. And it went from approx. 3.75gb (as of Sept 2 9am) to 2.76gb (present time). So I don’t think the lag caused it not unless it’s more than a 12-hour lag. Maybe it’s a 24-hr lag. 

I also forgot to mention that due to me trying to figure out what’s taking so much of my data that whenever i’m home or at work and have wifi, i ALWAYS turn the cellular data off. I also turn off all the apps that I rarely use (re: number 5 of your message) which I never did when I had 6gb of data. 

As i check: Automatic updates was already toggled off. Restrict downloads to wifi already off. The only thing that wasn’t off was the wi-fi assist, which I just toggled off. I don’t think that’s the only reason why my phone is taking up crazy amounts of data everyday but i’ll give Fido the benefit of the doubt and blame it on this. That still doesn’t explain data being taken off my count even after being in the cottage for the 3rd day now. But still, thanks for your time. I’m still expecting to get a resolution from this.

Jayeparrilla

Thanks for all the info jayeparrilla!

It's a good thing to turn off the Wi-Fi assist. It would be hard for me to tell you if this is indeed the reason of your usage. I would like to check your account, as it would give us more info on what's happening Smiley

To do this, I'll send you a PM.

Talk to you soon!

jayeparrilla

Thanks Thomas.

i’ll be expecting your shout.

Hey @jayeparrilla

We sent you a PM already.  We're waiting for your reply! Smiley

jayeparrilla

PM through where? I didn’t get anything besides this thread. Through my email? Through text? Through a call? Please clarify. Thanks.

Hello Jayeparrilla,

Welcome to the community!

As FidoKija noted above, the PMs are private messages within this community. You should be able to access your private messages by clicking on your username (beside your avatar, above right) --> clicking middle envelope icon.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

jayeparrilla

Thank you. I believe you cant access it through the cellphone, I don't know. i'm using pc now. Thanks for your help

I see! This would be in the inbox of your community profile. I'll send you another one in a few minutes. Let me know!