Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data VS social networks plan addon

HannaS
I'm a participant level 2

Hi everyone,

I'm considering changing from iPhone to Blackberry (long story, involves a playbook) what I don't get is how Fido manages data on the Blackberry phones.

I understand that there's an option to add social networks without adding a data plan, but wouldn't I be able to browse to the social network's site (ie: www.twitter.com) if I had a data plan? Granted probably wouldn't allow me to use the official app I'm sure, but is this possible?

Thanks ahead

***Edited to add labels***

2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Luckily blackberry phones are a little more advanced than iphones. They rely on something called a service book. its pushed to your phone from your carrier depending on what services your provisioned for.  So if you subscribe to a social networking plan, then the service books are pushed to your phone so only the MSN, YAHOO, Google Talk, BBM, facebook and Myspace icons will work, which all blackberries conveniently have in the IM folder, and if not, they will be pushed to the BB anyways by the service books.  When you try browsing, it wont let you, the service book is not pushed so there is NO way. 

now if you sign up for a data plan that includes browsing, they simply push the browsing service book, and your usage is coming out of a pool of data by your carriers plan.  can't get any easier.

HannaS
Thank you for that, I'll probably be switching to BB over this week. Hopefully Fido wont have any issues getting an unlocked Verizon BB registered.

Thanks again