Contract Ending

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1
I'm a Participant Level 1

Contract Ending

Hi

My contracted ended 2 days ago... i just want any information on what happens after a contract ends.

Accepted Solution

Re: Contract Ending

The service continues, you are still charged the same amount every month, but there's no penalty should you choose to end your relationship with Fido. Also, I assume you got a discount on your phone 2 years ago; that phone is now paid off.

You can:

- keep going (same phone, same monthly cost, same service),

- renew your contract on the same terms (price, data, minutes) and get a discount on a new phone (this is called grandfathering your contract. Some people reported that Fido representatives say you have to switch to a new plan; you don't have to. Talk to another CR if (s)he insist on making change plan),

- get a new contract (new price, data, minutes) and a discount on a new phone, or

- switch to one of the Bring Your Own Phone plan (possibly less expensive) to use with either your current phone or a new phone you would purchase at full price. This is not a contract, so you can cancel your line at any time, or switch to another plan if a better one comes along.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 6
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2
Solution

The service continues, you are still charged the same amount every month, but there's no penalty should you choose to end your relationship with Fido. Also, I assume you got a discount on your phone 2 years ago; that phone is now paid off.

You can:

- keep going (same phone, same monthly cost, same service),

- renew your contract on the same terms (price, data, minutes) and get a discount on a new phone (this is called grandfathering your contract. Some people reported that Fido representatives say you have to switch to a new plan; you don't have to. Talk to another CR if (s)he insist on making change plan),

- get a new contract (new price, data, minutes) and a discount on a new phone, or

- switch to one of the Bring Your Own Phone plan (possibly less expensive) to use with either your current phone or a new phone you would purchase at full price. This is not a contract, so you can cancel your line at any time, or switch to another plan if a better one comes along.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 6
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3

That is what I am thinking of doing. I am already on month to month I was asked to change the plan . I wanted to keep the same one and go for 2 year term with a new phone if the Fido can offer. The Fido CS denied to offer anything new even being Customer since 2003 . So thinking of moving to BYOP to Koodo or Virgin or may be someone else.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 6
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey sukhdev!

You definitely don't have to change your plan if you want to take a new 2 year contract. Smiley Keep in mind, though, that the price of your new phone will depend on what kind of plan you have (Standard, Smart, or Max). 

We'd hate to see you go. I'll send you a PM shortly so we can look into your options.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 6
Highlighted

I just called today coz i wanted a new phone.. I was a customer too since 2003 and my plan is really cheap and the cs who i talked too told me to change my plan to atleast $70 so that i can avail a discount for iphone 6 instead of paying $599 i just pay $399... I told him if i will do that i rather go to rogers or virgin mobile coz their iphone 6 is only $199!!! In his face i was really upset... I asked him to transfer me to his supervisor but he said he couldn't...

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi ayen08.

Here's the pricing of the iPhone 6 depending on the plan category you're in:

16GB
$269—2-year Tab24 agreement on Max plan
$419—2-year Tab24 agreement on Smart plan
$619—2-year Tab24 agreement on Standard 
$839—Without agreement/Prepaid

64GB
$399—2-year Tab24 agreement on Max plan
$549—2-year Tab24 agreement on Smart plan
$749—2-year Tab24 agreement on Standard 
$969—Without agreement/Prepaid

128GB
$599—2-year Tab24 agreement on Max plan
$749—2-year Tab24 agreement on Smart plan
$949—2-year Tab24 agreement on Standard 
$1,099—Without agreement/Prepaid

If you have a grandfathered plan, voice & data combinations between $45-$60 are considered Smart plans, and voice & data combinations over $70 are considered Max plans.

I hope this clarifies the situation. Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 6