Cheapest way to maintain my number when I am overseas

I'm a Participant Level 1 besty
I'm a Participant Level 1

Cheapest way to maintain my number when I am overseas

I currently have a $10.75 monthly pre-paid account but I am overseas a lot of the year. I wish to keep the phone number I have had for many years. The expiry date for the account balance is coming up in a few days and if I put in $100 it will be used up over the next 9 months without me using the phone much of the time. I was wondering if the $1 a day Pay Per Use is charged at $1 every day or whether this is just when the phone is used? If I put in $100 the account will be good for 365 days and when I am there I can switch to a plan that includes data but wouldn't be paying the $10.75 every month when I am away. Can you please confirm whether the $1 a Day Pay Per Use is charged daily or only on those days when it is used which would appear to be the better option for me?

Accepted Solution

Re: Cheapest way to maintain my number when I am overseas

Hello Besty,

Welcome to the community!

@besty wrote:...I was wondering if the $1 a day Pay Per Use is charged at $1 every day or whether this is just when the phone is used?...

I am not certain, however, I assume that the Daily Prepaid plans are charged every day -- whether you use the phone or not. If your account does not have sufficient funds to pay the plan fee for the following period at the end of any given period, a 40 ¢/min rate for local calls will apply to the $1 plans (see Full details here).

@besty wrote:...If I put in $100 the account will be good for 365 days and when I am there I can switch to a plan that includes data but wouldn't be paying the $10.75 every month when I am away....

If you're thinking of switching to a Prepaid plan which includes data when you are overseas, I don't think that would be a viable option. You can certainly switch plans, however, Prepaid plans do not allow roaming data (see here).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 2
MVP
MVP
Solution

Re: Cheapest way to maintain my number when I am overseas

Hello Besty,

Welcome to the community!

@besty wrote:...I was wondering if the $1 a day Pay Per Use is charged at $1 every day or whether this is just when the phone is used?...

I am not certain, however, I assume that the Daily Prepaid plans are charged every day -- whether you use the phone or not. If your account does not have sufficient funds to pay the plan fee for the following period at the end of any given period, a 40 ¢/min rate for local calls will apply to the $1 plans (see Full details here).

@besty wrote:...If I put in $100 the account will be good for 365 days and when I am there I can switch to a plan that includes data but wouldn't be paying the $10.75 every month when I am away....

If you're thinking of switching to a Prepaid plan which includes data when you are overseas, I don't think that would be a viable option. You can certainly switch plans, however, Prepaid plans do not allow roaming data (see here).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 2