Charged Roaming without using it

Service interruption

An update for our valued customers: We know you depend on us and on April 19, we let you down - for this we are truly sorry. You won’t be charged for your wireless services that were impacted on Monday, April 19. A credit equivalent to that day's wireless service fee will be applied to your May bill. This will be done automatically & no action is required by you.

Click here to read more

vitorfc
I'm a Participant Level 2

I was charged CAD 14 for International Roaming and not even used.

My data was disabled and I only put my SIM card before boarding the plane but didn't use any internet because it was disabled.

That's ridiculous. Does anyone know how can I dispute this charge?

3 REPLIES 3
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Vitorfc,

Welcome to the community!

How do you know you were charged for roaming? Was it shown on your bill?

When connected to a foreign network, you will receive a welcome message which is only to inform you that your phone connected to a foreign network. It does not necessarily mean that you've already incurred that Fido Roam charge. It is usage of your services (ie making or receiving calls, sending messages, or using data) that will trigger the roaming fee (see here). Receiving SMS will not trigger the roaming fee. However, any data within a MMS (sent or received) will be considered roaming data and will trigger the roaming charge. To prevent accidental download of MMS, you might consider disabling any MMS Auto retrieve settings on your phone. With that setting disabled, you will receive notification of the message (SMS) and be given the option to download the content (MMS). If you do not download the content, there should be no roaming fee charged.

You also should note that disabling data or roaming data does not prevent roaming for voice and text messages. To prevent a device from roaming, you might consider enabling Airplane or Flight mode for the duration of your trip. You could then manually enable Wifi when required. You should also note certain Wifi-calling usage abroad is also considered roaming (if applicable).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

vitorfc
I'm a Participant Level 2

It was shown on my bill even though I haven't used any services.

We sent you a private message! Please feel free to reply to our last message to you. 😊