Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cell number read as long distance?

KLamb
I'm a participant level 2

Hi there,

Today my mum was trying to call my cell number from our landline and when she attempted to call, it indicated my number was a long distance number and needed to have 1 dialed in front of it. We both live in Winnipeg, and have Winnipeg area codes for our phones. When my dad tried from his cell, the same thing happened, my cell # ID being read as long distance. My dad has a fido cell and the landline is with shaw. Any idea why this might be happening? 

4 REPLIES 4

FidoStephane

Hi there ) 

This simply means the number dialed is not in your local area. As long as you have Canada-Wide calling on your landline and cellphone, you're good to go Smiley 

You simply need to add +1 before the 10 digits

KLamb

Hi there! 

Thanks for the response. Sorry if it was unclear, the number that is being read as long distance is my cell phone number, which makes no sense. It's in my local area, because it is my number. My parents also live in the same area, so there is no reason why my cell number should be read as long distance. I'm unsure why this is happening as I've had the cell number for a little over a year, and this hasn't happened previously. Any idea why this might have changed? 

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey there!

What you need to know is that calls placed to the same local calling area than the one you are physically in, are local. Same thing applies to calls received while in your local calling area, they are local (even when it's long distance for the person calling you).

However, calls received while outside of your local calling area are long distance and calls placed to a different local calling area than the one you are in, are long distance. For the latter, this is where adding +1 before the 10 digit number will be required.

You can also visit the CNA (Canadian Numbering Administrator) for more info on the zonings in Canada or use their online tool to confirm if both numbers (yours and the one calling you) are from the same area.

Hope this helps!

KLamb

Hi! 

Thanks very much for your reply, when I checked the CNA it indicated my family's cell numbers are all local to Winnipeg, and mine is local to Beausajour for some reason, hence the long distance. I guess I will need to get a new phone number local to Winnipeg! Thanks again!