Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot receive google verification codes via SMS

Mandy84
I'm a participant level 1

Hi
i cant receive my Google Verification code by SMS, i can receive SMS from regular phone numbers but i don't receive SMS from Short Code numbers.
could you please help me i cant have my apps on my phone if i don't receive the Google Verification code SMS

***Edited to add labels***

23 REPLIES 23

onlinealias

I've been looking all over this forum for a solution but haven't found an answer.

I turned off my wifi, changed my phone number from a 437 area code to a 416 area code but I'm still unable to receive short code texts from Google.

Any help would be appreciated!

Hey @onlinealias

Welcome aboard the Community!

I have moved your post in this thread as it deals with the same topic.

I do see that you followed one of the suggestion by changing your number. Did you make sure all other requirements were met as well?

I'll send you a PM soon so we can take a look at it this together.

Talk soon.

lawrencelo
I'm a participant level 2

I am using a 437 area code number.

Like many others have said, these kinds of SMS verification codes cannot be received from all senders including facebook and google.

It is not feasible to just change my number as I am already using it.

Changing number is just a workaround but not the solution. Please help fix it. Thanks.

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Mandy84

Welcome to the community Smiley

Short Code services are a service we do offer and you should definitely be receiving those verification messages!

Since they aren't coming through, I'll be sending you a PM so we can check out your account and get to the bottom of this!

aznufo

I am having trouble receiving sms short code sms texts to verify for certain companies and websites (couchsurfing, google, instagram, etc.)

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi @aznufo & welcome to the Community! Smiley

Are you able to receive text messages from any other number?

aznufo

Yes, just not from verification codes, from instagram, google, etc. the 6 digit short codes usually or 5 digit

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

@aznufo Thanks for the info!

Are you using the default messaging app of your phone or are you using a different one?

Dimok
I'm a participant level 3

I've just bougth the plan and received verification codes from all other sources: WhatsApp, Presto, Fido itself. I also can receive sms from other phones. But not from Google. There are many topics with same problem since 2016, but no solution provided.

I tried to restart phone, turn off WiFi, register phone number from laptop. No a single SMS from google receved.

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey Dimok! 

Welcome to the Community!

I moved your post here since it's on the same subject. 

Could you let us know if you are using the default messenger? 

Are you otherwise able to get your verification code by voice call rather than SMS? Have you tried using a Backup code instead?

Dimok

>Could you let us know if you are using the default messenger? 

Yes, I didnt change default SMS app

>Are you otherwise able to get your verification code by voice call rather than SMS? Have you tried using a Backup code instead?

I've activated 2-step verification via voice call and got backup codes. But I cant change phone number in "Personal Info" and recovery phone number. I still cant receive SMS from google and there is no option for voice call.

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Dimok!

Were you able to receive your Google verification code?

Wer're here if you still need help!

Dimok

No, I still don't receive verification codes from Google. I've found this topic on Google help forum:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gmail/NZ_lVF1wmjQ

And it looks like whole 437 area code can't receive SMS from Google (my phone number starts with this). I'm now thinking to change my phone number.

FidoPamela
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Your area code should not be a problem when it comes to receiving a text message from a short code. Were you able to confirm what number the message would be coming from? 

With that we'd be able to make sure it's listed in the authorized short codes. 

Let us know Smiley 

Agnrac

Hi,

I think I have the same problem for 2 weeks now. I tried EVERYTHING that you guys suggested but it does not help.

For more details, this only happened to me with Google, Netflix, Facebook. Text messaging works fine, I have the default SMS app and I can receive and send a text with no problem. This issue is not happening with Linkedin, Amazon, CIBC...

There is no option for audio/call to get a confirmation code so we really need to fix this problem that occurs in phone numbers starting with 437.

Looking forward to hearing a solution to this problem.

Hey @Agnrac and welcome to the Community.

It seems like a lot of users are having trouble with this.

The most details about will definitely help us find a solution for this.

Based on one of the suggestions offered earlier in this thread, did you have a chance to get in contact with Google to see what might be the issue?

Agnrac

Hi kenny,

Yeah, we tried to call them and my wife talked to the support but they didn't understand why and they couldn't update it themselves by phone because of privacy issues.

I first thought maybe something was wrong with my phone (Infinix Zero 3) but now I switched to another device (Samsung S7) but the problem still persists with all the applications I mentioned above (Google, Facebook, Netflix, Instagram...)

Please find a solution to this issue because changing the number is absolutely not an option.

Looking forward to finding a solution.

Thank you.

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @lawrencelo and @Agnrac!

I'll send you both PMs so we can check things out Smiley

dhzynx

Hi,

Has Fido found a solution to this issue? I'm a new subscriber with 437 area code and so does my wife and we both have the same issue.

I'm not able to verify my mobile number change for Google, Facebook and Instagram since SMS is not received.

Hey @dhzynx

Welcome to the community Smiley

We're still looking into this.  However, many people were able to fix it by changing their phone number to a 647 or 416 area code.  You can do it yourself from your account on fido.ca.

Alternatively, people have been able to get backup code from Google.  You can find more info about that here.

Let us know how it goes! Smiley