Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot make outgoing VOIP calls on mobile data network

lips
I'm a participant level 2

Hi

I've been using this plan ($15 for 3Gb) on a Moto G5 since March of this year.  I use TextNow to make calls on the data network.  Fido support on here was great in blocking voice and text for me on the voice network.

Everything worked well until last week, when I was not able to make outgoing TextNow calls on the mobile data network.  Outgoing calls over a wifi network is fine.  Receiving calls on the data network is fine also.

Is Fido somehow blocking such outgoing calls now on its data network?  Is there any way to fix this?  If support can help again I'll be forever thankful and Fido will have a happy custmer forever!

24 REPLIES 24

Mdawson03
I'm a participant level 1

I am experiencing the same issue. The suggested fix to edit the APN does not work on my Pixel3 as I cannot edit the APN. 

Is Fido/Rogers aware of this issue and can it be fixed without having to edit the APN to force IPv4?

Some-one

I was unable to make VOIP phone calls over LTE internet but it worked with a VPN over LTE and over WiFi. I'm also unable to edit the Fido APN on my Android phone since it upgraded to Android 9 but tonight I found a solution which I'm sharing below.

To edit the APN:

1) Replace the Fido SIM with a Verison SIM. (I had a Verison SIM but perhaps a different provider will also work) 

2) QUICKLY selected the "Fido Internet" APN, change the NAME to "MODFido Internet", change the "APN Protocol" to IPV4 and then SAVE. (On a second phone, I took a little too long and the Verison APN replaced the Fido APN so I had to restart the procedure)

3) Replace the Verison SIM with the Fido SIM.

4) Select the "MODFido Internet" APN configuration.

Voila, you should now be able to make VOIP phone calls over the Fido LTE network!

jf8

Solution confirmed on my side!

It's like the default Fido APN settings for LTE have a hidden configuration flag that prevents SIP protocol.

Also, I didn't have to put a third party SIM to do this.  I just used one of the other APNs that autoconfigure with the SIM (I think it was internet.fido.ca).  I changed the name of the config as you suggested and the APN address for "ltemobile.apn".

Incoming and outgoing calls work flawlessly now.

Thanks for the info!

slvrsi

Hi, 

I've tried to select v4 wtih ltemobile.apn and its not working as in I dont get connection. Is there anything else to enable or do I need to call in to get this APN enabled?

Hey @slvrsi !

We wouldn't be able to switch or enable APN settings on our side.

However, we'll be happy to take a closer look at what's going on!

You can reach out to us through any of our channels listed here.

Alternatively, we can also send you a PM through the Community, if that works best for you. Smiley

jpb10

Does disabling IPv6 in the APN settings still work? I get no internet connection on LTE when ticking IPv4 only, although I do have a connection when IPv6 is enabled...

Hi @jpb10  Smiley

I'm not sure I fully understand your question, sorry!

What happens exactly when your IPv6 is enabled? Are any of your services not working? 

jpb10

Hi @FidoValerie,

Does the following fix still work for making voip (IPv4) calls?:

@FidoRachel wrote:
Modify the APN “ltemobile.apn” to IPv4 instead of the default IPv4/IPv6 in the phone settings, under Wireless & Networks - Cellular Networks - Access Point Names.

I tried the above and get no internet/data with only IPv4 enabled on APN “ltemobile.apn”. Internet/data works fine with IPv6 enabled.

PS. I discovered that IPv4 internet/data works on APN "ltedata.apn", although recieving voip calls is hit or miss. Recieving calls is more reliable when connected to a wifi network with internet connection.

Hi @jpb10

Thanks for sharing your findings with the Community Smiley

lemontv

I also have the same issue with VoIP calls on the mobile data network, try to add a new APN with only IPv4 enabled, but it still not working.

Hey @lemontv

What's your phone model?

lemontv

Pixel 2 XL

Which VoiP service are you using?

And what's the error message you get? 

Thanks for sharing @Some-one ! 

Awesome stuff! 

FidoPierre
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @lips

We haven't received any confirmation on any proactive changes to this service.

We also have a limited support for these kinds of 3rd party Apps.

Did you get a chance to try uninstalling and downloading the App to see if this helped?

lips

Hi

Thanks for the reply.  Sorry, I didn't make myself very clear.  I wasn't asking for support of the 3rd party app.  I mentioned the app to find out if others had the same issue with the app.  I just want to know if something had changed with Fido.  Since nothing has changed with Fido, I will take it up with the  3rd party app or find a workaround.

Thanks again.

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @lips,

Thanks for the clarification! As far as the information we have on our side, we haven't received any confirmation of there being any changes to the service,

Have you tried some general troubleshooting, such as clearing the cache and data of the app and making sure that you have the most recent version of the app?

Feel free to share any updates on here when you get the chance to Smiley

droussea

I'm facing the same issue then lips...NOT been able to do outgoing call using voip application.

Was working fine since 2 years and suddently stop working yesterday...

I have try 4 diffrent applications and always getting the same issue!  

While on wifi outgoing calls are working fine.  

Did Fido change something to prevent Voip on the LTE network???

Dan

flutterwave1
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

I don't think so? I can use VoIP calling on text now no issues on Fido LTE

droussea

Hi Flutterwave1,

Me too it was working with no issue until YESTERDAY.

But now I'm getting the same behavior than the previous poster (lips) and nothing change on my side.

A friend if mine is also having no issue (fido-same voip app) so I have no clue what's going on...