cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelled fido number used to reset Facebook account.

bdd13
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Hi all,

Bit of an odd thing going on. I cancelled my fido account in September as I was moving back out of the country for a year or so. 

Yesterday I get an email from Facebook letting me know my account password has been reset.... From my old phone number! It was done in Calgary, where I lived, it also shows me the device they used and their IP address. 

I have since removed the number from my Facebook account and reset the password but what worries me is how did they get my name from a cancelled phone number....and if they could access my Facebook, what other personal accounts could they access??

I've had no luck speaking to fido yet, their chats aren't working for me at the moment. Is there any recourse for this? I would like whoever has that new number to be banned or for it to be taken away, what else are they going to try. I've gotten more emails about recovery codes so it seems like they might be trying again. 

If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it. 

Thanks,

Brett. 

3 REPLIES 3

esterfred23
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi how I can get the account

Hello Esterfred23,

Welcome to the community!

Are you referring to logging-in to Facebook while your Fido number has changed? If yes, you would need to contact Facebook to have them verify your identity by a different method. Once you are able to log back into your account, you would need to unlink your old phone number and add your new phone number.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

FidoMegan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey bdd13!

It's possible that this person was attempting the set up their new mobile number with their Facebook account. As it was still attached to yours, it reset your password. 

If you've removed it from your Facebook account and reset your password everything is fine. If you're still receiving emails about password resets, your mobile number is still attached to your Facebook account.

We have no control over this. You'll need to make sure you disassociate it. 

Hope that helps.