Can anybody at Fido give you the straight facts

I'm a Participant Level 3 batt3d
I'm a Participant Level 3

Can anybody at Fido give you the straight facts

I had been a long time customer of Bell Mobility when I went to a phone kiosk at Great Canadian Superstore to ask if my phone was unlocked.  It was an older phone and was not and of course I was offered many options and new plans that would get me an unlocked phone for use while traveling in Europe.  I rarely us a cell phone and can hardly justify even having one but I settled on a Fido plan and an Iphone 6s BUT I was careful to ask if Fido allows "vacation mode" as I spend 6 months per year in the US.  I was assured yes at a rate of $10 per month and so I agreed to switch.  Less than 6 months later I called Fido to set UP "vacation mode" and was told "that over the summer the rate had gone from $10 to $30 per month!  Given that i was on a $35 per month plan the saving was negligible and not what I had been promised and my cost per year versus my old Bell Mobility was through the roof.  Of course I was upset and after some discussion with the customer service rep about my situation she suggested I go to a Fido pay as you go plan at $10 per month for 50 minutes per month.  More than enough minutes for me so I was satisfied with that resolve. 

However, within a few weeks I was sent a bill for $434 as a phone recovery fee!  Not one word of this fee had come from the customer service representative!   They record all phone calls and can easily review that call and verify my claim but when talking to a supervisor about my predicament they have no interest in doing so.  In fact the supervisor tells me that they don't offer a "vacation mode" at all.  I am first told $10 per month, then $30 per month and then no vacation mode at all.  I was not leaving Fido but rather I was switching plans so do not accept that there should be a phone recovery fee.  

Every service I have in both Canada and the US including home phone, TV, internet, newspaper and even natural gas can be put on "vacation mode" but not Fido cell phone.   Give me a break.   

MY ADVICE:   DON'T USE FIDO CELLULAR

I know that complaints against phone companies is like complaining about the weather but I cannot believe how I have been sucked in by Fido with their false promises.  I have stopped payment for the phone recovery fee with my credit card company and am willing to fight for what I was promised.

Accepted Solution

Re: Can anybody at Fido give you the straight facts

Hello Batt3d,

Welcome to the community!

Fido does not have a 'vacation mode' per se. They do offer a temporary suspension. However, there are certain conditions which apply. The temporary suspension can only be applied on accounts without a contract. It appears you were subsidising a device which is likely the reason you were not able to add the temporary suspension.

In addition, switching from a monthly plan with a subsidised device to a pre-paid plan would require ending your contract, which is likely the reason you received the phone recovery fee.

Good news regarding the temporary suspension fee though. Apparently, the fee is now back to $7 per month (see here).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 8

update

I called back to speak to a FIDO supervisor this morning.  after more than 20 minutes the call was dropped when a message came on to say they had lost the connection while trying to make a switch.  I am currently on the second call of the morning and have now been on hold for 57 minutes and 51 no 52 no 53 no 54 seconds.   what a JOKE

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 8
MVP
MVP
Solution

Hello Batt3d,

Welcome to the community!

Fido does not have a 'vacation mode' per se. They do offer a temporary suspension. However, there are certain conditions which apply. The temporary suspension can only be applied on accounts without a contract. It appears you were subsidising a device which is likely the reason you were not able to add the temporary suspension.

In addition, switching from a monthly plan with a subsidised device to a pre-paid plan would require ending your contract, which is likely the reason you received the phone recovery fee.

Good news regarding the temporary suspension fee though. Apparently, the fee is now back to $7 per month (see here).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 8

Hey @batt3d

Welcome to the Community.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, that's not what we want you to go through Sad

We do offer a temporary suspension, while the rate had gone up in the summer, it is now back to $7 per month for a period of 2-12 months as @Cawtau mentioned. Keep in mind that this service is only available if you are not on a contract. 

As for the device recovery fee, that fee is billed when you break your agreement. It's simply the balance that's left to pay on your phone. You mentioned purchasing an iPhone 6s, if you were billed for the recovery fee it's because you were on an agreement. Switching to a prepaid service would trigger that fee as you would be cancelling your contract . 

As for your supervisor call, can you clarify whether you were on a call for one hour or on hold ? 

Let us know what happens, we hope you can get this resolved with the supervisor, nonetheless we're here to help. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 8

in response:  First:   I was on a live call with various agents for more than 20 minutes before the call was lost while being transferred to yet another supervisor.  I called for a second time and after briefly speaking with an agent I waited just over 1 hour on hold before I had to leave for an appointment and left the open line with my wife who waited an additional 45 minutes before speaking with a supervisor and without satisfaction.

Second:  I agree and understand a phone recovery fee if you break the contract and leave the service provider.  However I was not leaving the company and your in house representative who suggested the pay as you go option did not say one word about how changing plans would trigger a buy out.  I have begged several persons I have spoken with to review that call recording and to verify my claim.

Third;  Good news about the suspension fee dropping to the previous $7 per month as I was told at the time of purchase but neither the original seller of the phone nor your in house agent who suggested the pay as you go option did not inform me that I was not eligible for the suspended service.  I switched from Bell Mobility in good faith based on information from your representatives.  That trust in your employees is now going to cost me significantly more per year than Bell Mobility and if not resolved to my satisfaction I will be loud and aggressive in my criticism of Fido 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 8

Hello @batt3d

Thank you for the details. We understand how this situation might have caused some frustration. We definitely intend to remain as transparent as possible in regards to our service charges and offer all the options that are available for an account. 

We receive your feedback and we take note of what you have described. We will continue to work to provide you with our best service. 

We remain available if you have any further questions. You can contact us here

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 8
Highlighted

In fairness to Fido I received a call this morning from a Supervisor who was very professional and polite but was unable to resolve my situation so I asked if "the President " of Fido would have the authority.   She said she did not know but would set me up to receive a call from the office of the President next week.  Much to my surprise I received that call only hours later from Constance who told me she had listened to my recorded call with the agent who had given me so much wrong information.  As a result Fido has resolved  my situation to my complete satisfaction which is greatly appreciated.  In the end I was treated more than fairly and only regret that it took so much time and effort.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 8
Former Moderator FidoRuth
Former Moderator

Hey @batt3d,

We're glad to see that we were able to come to a resolution with you. We definitely understand how time consuming the process can be.

We'll definitely take your comments about the situation into consideration for future references.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 8