Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from West African nation Benin and 881 phone number

danmaca
I'm a participant level 2

Hey there,

For the past week I have been getting about 8 calls a day from numbers in Benin (a country in West Africa) and also from numbers that start with +881. My cell will ring for about 3 seconds before they hangup. I am not answering the calls, but they have become very annoying. I have blocked every number, but somehow new ones keep calling me.

I called a Fido customer rep and they told me that numerous people have been calling over the last few days with this problem. Is something being from Fido's end to prevent the calls? I have been a loyal customer since 2012, and hope to have this resolved before I go crazy!

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best,

Dan.

2 REPLIES 2

danmaca

2 seconds after I posted this message I got another call from Benin (+229). Please help!

Thanks again,

Daniel.

Hello Danmaca,

Welcome to the community!

Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done to prevent those calls since they are likely spoofed numbers. That is, the individuals or organisations calling aren't actually calling from those numbers. The +881 is the country code for the global mobile satellite service.

I understand you have already blocked many of the numbers. If they are all coming from the same country codes (and you do not expect any legitimate calls from those countries), you might be able to block all of the calls from those countries with your phone. Rather than blocking individual numbers, your phone might have the option to block all +881 or +229 by using the match criteria starts with instead of the exactly the same as option.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers