cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call forward old Fido number to new Fido number?

atcooper
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I've had the same Vancouver area code number with Fido since university (about 20yrs ago). However I moved to Calgary last year and I'm feeling increasing pressure to switch my Fido number to one in the local area code. It is going to take considerable time and effort to update all the places that have my old Vancouver number though once I get a new one. 

If I change my Fido number to a new Calgary-based one, is it possible to to call forward my old Fido number to the new one? Either permanently or temporarily?  

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Atcooper,

Welcome to the community!

Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to forward calls from your old Fido number to a new Fido number. Once you change your phone number, your old number is no longer available.

There might be ways of achieving what you desire, but they can be more complicated and not necessarily cost effective. One possibility which might work would be to get an additional SIM and plan (or prepaid). You could forward your calls from your old number to your new phone number. After a period of time, you might be able to port your new phone number to your old plan. You won't be able to transfer your old plan to your new phone number.

Another possibility would be to get a VOIP phone number based in Calgary and forward the calls to your Vancouver Fido phone number.

You should note that the plans and taxes follow the phone number. If you do change your phone number to one based in Calgary, you might have to change plans if your current plan is not available in Alberta. In addition, you'll also be taxed according to Alberta taxes rather than BC's taxes. Note that the suggestion of porting your new number to your old plan mentioned above would also be limited by the plans available in Alberta.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers