Blocking certain phone numbers

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1

Blocking certain phone numbers

Is it possible to block someones phone number from calling or texting my cell phone???

***Edited to add labels***

Accepted Solution

Re: Blocking certain phone numbers

@bludelite wrote:

Is it possible to block someones phone number from calling or texting my cell phone???

Hey everyone!

I know this is an old thread but I just saw this and thought that I would provide some up-to-date information in the case that anyone else may have a similar question. 

Fido is not able to block incoming calls from specific numbers but you can verify in your devices user manual to see if a call blocking feature is available on your device, as lot of phones that are now offered include this under the call settings.

You can also register your phone number on the National Do Not Call List if the calls are telemarketing calls or report the number to your local police in the case of harassment.

You also have the option to report the number to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre if the calls/texts you're receiving are potentially spam and forward any such spam texts to 7726 so that we can work on blocking them from our network. 

Finally, you have the option to change your phone number as well. The change of phone number is free of charge when performed through the self-serve tools in your My Account profile on Fido.ca.

Hope this helps!

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 8
Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

I'm not sure when extreme text messaging will come to Fido (its currently available for Rogers only, no idea why), it will allow you to not only block SMS, but forward and copy them to different numbers too.

As for blocking numbers, that is not possible on neithter carrier yet to the best of my knowledge.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 8
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 3
I'm Helpful Level 3

@bludelite

At this time, Fido does not offer any call manager service that would allow you to control what phone numbers are not allowed to call or text your phone.

If you are receiving unwanted communications, you may wish to change your phone number.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 8
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

Isn't there a feature on some phones that let you do that??  I have a Sony Ericsson and there's an auto reject feature that I can use to stop certain numbers from calling.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2
I'm a Participant Level 2

Will I know if someone has blocked me

Will I get any message on my phone stating that my sent message has been blocked?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 8
Highlighted

I have a Sony Ericsson too! Could you tell me where is the auto reject feature is? 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 8
Highlighted
Fido Employee
Fido Employee
Solution

@bludelite wrote:

Hey everyone!

I know this is an old thread but I just saw this and thought that I would provide some up-to-date information in the case that anyone else may have a similar question. 

Fido is not able to block incoming calls from specific numbers but you can verify in your devices user manual to see if a call blocking feature is available on your device, as lot of phones that are now offered include this under the call settings.

You can also register your phone number on the National Do Not Call List if the calls are telemarketing calls or report the number to your local police in the case of harassment.

You also have the option to report the number to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre if the calls/texts you're receiving are potentially spam and forward any such spam texts to 7726 so that we can work on blocking them from our network. 

Finally, you have the option to change your phone number as well. The change of phone number is free of charge when performed through the self-serve tools in your My Account profile on Fido.ca.

Hope this helps!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 8
Highlighted

If you have an iPhone, you can block calls.

Setup a contact i.e. -> Blocked -> (236) 361-0888

Then in Settings:

Phone (in the 6th group), Near the bottom -> Blocked Contacts -> Add New...Blocked

I've just added mine. Hope it works!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 8