Better plans

I'm a Contributor Level 1 Trevtb
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Better plans

So my plan is up and time to shop around.  Anybody ever hear of public mobile?  They have great plans, and great reviews.  Also there coverage is suppose to be just as good as Fido/Rogers.

Accepted Solution

Re: Better plans

Hello Trevtb,

When you're comparing plans, make sure you're comparing similar services. Many of Public Mobile's adverstised plans only include Province-wide calling or '3G' data. In addition, their service is self-service. They do not have any customer service. If you do end up requiring assistance, you'll have to find it in their community. They might seem like great deals, but sometimes you might just be not paying for what you're not getting.

With regards to coverage, Public mobile is a subsidiary of Telus and would use their networks. There is often discussion as to which provider has the better coverage. However, the more pertinent discussion should be which provider has better coverage for you. The different providers have their cellular towers strategically placed. Some providers will have better coverage at some locations while other providers might have better coverage at other locations. Which is better for you depends on your location(s) and situation(s). You can get an idea of your surrounding cellular towers here.

I'm not trying to sway your decision. Just make sure you compare similar plans and services offered with those plans.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 6
Moderator (inactive) FidoRanya
Moderator (inactive)

Hey @Trevtb ,

Welcome to the Community! 

Did you take a look at the offers we currently have? What phone are you interested in? 

Give us a chance to make you the best deal possible! We don't want to see you go anywhere but at a Fido store to pick up your new phone!

Looking forward hearing from you. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 6
I'm a Contributor Level 1 Trevtb
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Looking for a 50$ month plan.  Looking for basic iPhone 8, would like around 3gb of data 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 6
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

Currently, you can get the following Black Friday offers on the iPhone 8 64GB:

• $149 upfront, $60 2GB monthly plan 2-year agreement
  • $149 upfront, $65 4GB monthly plan 2-year agreement

These are great prices seeing as the iPhone 8 64GB is $849 without an agreement.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 6
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

I just visited Public Mobile's website for comparison...

Public Mobile:

• $47 BOYD monthly plan -- Unlimited province wide calling, 2GB LTE Data, Unlimited texting
  • For an iPhone 8 64GB, you'd have to bring your own device aka spend $849 upfront and then have pay $47 monthly
  • 2 year cost: (24 months x $47) + 849 = $1977

Fido:

• $60 Medium monthly plan -- Unlimited Canada wide calling, 2GB LTE Data, Unlimited texting
  • For an iPhone 8 64GB, you'd pay only $149 upfront and then pay $60 monthly
  • 2 year cost: (24 months x $60) + 149 = $1489

You therefore would save $488 over 2 years by getting your iPhone 8 at Fido! Fido saves you money and Public Mobile ends up costs you way more!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 6
MVP
MVP
Solution

Hello Trevtb,

When you're comparing plans, make sure you're comparing similar services. Many of Public Mobile's adverstised plans only include Province-wide calling or '3G' data. In addition, their service is self-service. They do not have any customer service. If you do end up requiring assistance, you'll have to find it in their community. They might seem like great deals, but sometimes you might just be not paying for what you're not getting.

With regards to coverage, Public mobile is a subsidiary of Telus and would use their networks. There is often discussion as to which provider has the better coverage. However, the more pertinent discussion should be which provider has better coverage for you. The different providers have their cellular towers strategically placed. Some providers will have better coverage at some locations while other providers might have better coverage at other locations. Which is better for you depends on your location(s) and situation(s). You can get an idea of your surrounding cellular towers here.

I'm not trying to sway your decision. Just make sure you compare similar plans and services offered with those plans.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 6