After iOS 12 Upgrade and new Carrier update - Bam! No more Carrier selector

I'm a Contributor Level 2 cody_w
I'm a Contributor Level 2

After iOS 12 Upgrade and new Carrier update - Bam! No more Carrier selector

If I’m in a weak coverage are I can no longer manually pick “Fido EXT” from the Carrier menu. That whole menu is gone after iOS 12 on an iPhone X. 

Note about 3 weeks ago (pervious iOS 11) I did run into that bug where the phone will no longer connect to the network and you have to restore the phone completely from backup. 

Hope its it’s not the same issue. At least this time I still have connectivity. 

Thoughts? Was this a carrier update from Fido or iOS 12 issue?

Accepted Solution

Re: After iOS 12 Upgrade and new Carrier update - Bam! No more Carrier sele

Hey everyone!

We have good news to share: the new iOS update (12.1.1) restored the carrier selection option.  You just need to update your phone from iTunes or in your settings and you'll be able to manually select a network again! Smiley

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 72
MVP
MVP

Hello Cody_W,

Welcome to the community!

@cody_w wrote:...

The "best experience" would be to allow us to manually pick an alternate network when the phone automatically drops us down to 3G coverage.

Lets face the truth, out here in BC, Fido has a lot of 3G coverage spots that are well covered by the other big 2 carriers on their LTE network.....

It's true that if you're outside of Fido/Rogers coverage, your phone should be able to access the other networks with extended coverage (Fido-EXT). That's a part of the roaming agreements. However, I do not believe it is Fido or Rogers who do not wish you to use the other networks while within their coverage. It's more likely the other networks who would like to prevent unnecessary roaming. If you're within Fido/Rogers coverage, the roaming agreements would not apply. If a phone uses the other networks outside of those agreements, those providers would prefer you pay them for your services.

Hope this helps :Smiley:

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 16 of 72

This put this a little simpler. Also alluded to by other commenters above...

If Service provider X (Fido) offers feature A for years and years (as long as you can remember).

Then new software update comes out, and Service Provider X takes feature A away (whether purposely or accidental bug), yet Service Provider Y and Z still offer feature A....

It's justification enough for many people to walk over to Service Provider Y and Z.

Lets also not mention un-related feature B (Apple watch LTE support) that Service Provier X is not offering, yet Y and Z are...

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 17 of 72

Hey again Fido Community,

Then new software update comes out, and Service Provider X takes feature A away (whether purposely or accidental bug), yet Service Provider Y and Z still offer feature A....

To add on the update provided above, this is currently impacting Iphone users on IOS 12. Customers on iOS 12 don’t have the option to change their network settings. This option is still available for others.

We are working with Apple to enable this feature in iOS12 as Apple expects to have the network settings updated later this year. Though we do not have exact timing to share at this moment.

Hope this clarifies.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 18 of 72
I'm a Participant Level 2 Vafu
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hi I am having the same issue but contrary to what you are saying the automatic network is just NOT working in my remote area. I have spent hours on this issue on the phone with Apple and Fido. Nobody seems to care but I have an $800 cell phone (which is my only access to the internet) which I cannot use in my own house because I live in a remote area.  I’m about to cancel my plan which Fido and leave. This is really a big deal for a lot of people and you should take care of it rapidly! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 19 of 72
Moderator (inactive) FidoThomas
Moderator (inactive)

Hey @Vafu,

Welcome to the Community!

Hmm that doesn't sound right, the automatic network setting should be available. We'd need to have a closer look at your situation! I'm sending you a PM, we'll continue over there Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 20 of 72

Hi Vafu, I had a similar problem back in August. This sounds stupid, but you may need to backup your phone in iTunes and then restore it again.

I'm not sure why, but Apple says this is a fix and only affects Fido and Rogers.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 21 of 72

Hmm that doesn't sound right, the automatic network setting should be available. We'd need to have a closer look at your situation! I'm sending you a PM, we'll continue over there Smiley

What I mean is :  that automatic network is "technically" working, but it is not strong enough to reach my house so that i can make a decent phone call (people don't hear me at all....) nor use my data. As it is my only way to access the outside world, it's a big bummer as i work from home and need to access internet and mail through my phone. PReviously i could manually select FIDO-EXT and it was working super well. I decided to leave FIDO as this will take weeks or more to be solved.....

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 22 of 72

@cody_w wrote:

Hi Vafu, I had a similar problem back in August. This sounds stupid, but you may need to backup your phone in iTunes and then restore it again.

I'm not sure why, but Apple says this is a fix and only affects Fido and Rogers.

THanks @cody_w
I did restore my phone and the problem was still there.  And also tried to resinstall IOS 11 but Apple confirmed that it is impossible to downgrade to IOS 11 once you have updated to IOS 12 (beware!). Like reallly impossible, event the genius bar won't be able to do it. Apple just doesn't allow it. Gasp.

The only way i though it could be done was to restore my phone to factory settings but even then, when you want to reinstall your phone back up, it reinstalls IOS 12 automatically.

Unless there'a a hack i didn't find, I think i tried eveeything. I guess i could try to not reinstall my phone's back up but that'S a big bummer to loose all that data.... and not even sure that would even work. If anyone knows more about this, let me know.... 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 23 of 72

Did you try to enable WiFi calling so it goes over your home internet (do you have WiFi at home?). 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 24 of 72
I'm a Contributor Level 2 Kraven

Sam result here and apple says Fido has to update the carrier settings correctly to fix this issue. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 25 of 72

Same issue tech support plays dumb and suggests they can cripple the phone by permanently blocking roaming. Not a viable option period. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 26 of 72

Oddly enough the network selector is available on my iPad running iOS 12. Wonder why that works and thie iPhone doesn’t. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 27 of 72
I'm a Contributor Level 2 chrisck

@Kraven wrote:

Oddly enough the network selector is available on my iPad running iOS 12. Wonder why that works and thie iPhone doesn’t. 

I think if you check you’ll find the carrier settings version on your iPad is 33.0 while on the iPhone it is 33.1.

For the record I also am dealing with this issue. For the most part the regular Fido/Rogers network is fine but just the other day I found myself working in a weak service area where I barely had any signal. The phone would not switch over to the other network n it’s own and with no way to force it I couldn’t make calls or use the internet for the duration.

completely unacceptable. :Angry:

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 28 of 72

Actually both my iPhone and iPad have the same carrier information 33.0.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 29 of 72
I'm a Contributor Level 2 chrisck

Interesting, so the issue is isolated to the iPhones then. I really hope they fix this sooner rather than later (presumably with another carrier update) as its causing me definite problems at work.  

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 30 of 72