cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2000 long distance bill how to get out of this

Krissyjazzy13
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

my first time posting. I am a user of my partner's line with fido for the past 4 years ported over from chatr. There has never been any long distance on the account. It was always blocked for the 20 years he has been with fido. Whenever I travel I roam and pay the bill in full upon my return. In April 2020 I receive the may bill for $2000. After checking i realized it was from me making long distance international calls. I realized to my horror the message fido sent out saying international roaming and long distance was free during a specific time due to the covid 19 was only for long distance made in Canada. Well I already had that on my plan so I was busy calling my one specific family member back home when our whatsapp calls didn't go through. It was an honest mistake. I called fido asking why the restriction on the long distance calls where removed and if I could have the bill reduced. They couldn't explain how I was able to make the calls and they agreed to take $100 off. There is no way I can afford this bill. I have seen where fido negotiated with a customer on a $22,000 bill down to 500. I wasn't even asking for that much. I need help. I can port my number else where however that would leave the burden of the bill on my partner. Any suggestions what to do? Thank you. 

1 REPLY 1

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Krissyjazzy13,

There has never been any long distance on the account. It was always blocked for the 20 years he has been with fido. 

International call restriction is not done on the account it is done on the line, your partner might have it on their line but if it was never requested to be added to your line then it would allow international calls to be made.

I called fido asking why the restriction on the long distance calls where removed 

While you can have the international call restriction it excludes calls to US and Caribbean numbers that have 1 as the country code.

There is no way I can afford this bill. 

Since you did make the calls the charges are valid, given it is a high amount and you can contact the Credit Operations team to set up a payment arrangement, you can get more info here.

I can port my number else where however that would leave the burden of the bill on my partner. 

If your account is not in good standing Fido can refuse the port.