cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

modem randomly reboots driving me MAD

Fidopls
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

I signed up for Fido internet near the beginning of this month and oh my god it's been nothing but craziness.

The cable modem (Hitron CGN3AMF), just randomly reboots itself doesn't matter if it's in Gateway mode or Bridge mode.

At first it was kinda okay for about 2 weeks in Gateway mode, ( I use my router behind it), then the problems started to appear nonstop.

a little timeline of events:

prior to the 17th of Oct, modem was in Gateway mode in front of a router. Netgear WNR2000v2, but since then been replaced by another better router TP-LINK Archer C8 v2 AC1750. Modem was restarted(unplugged) almost every 2-3 days.

2016-10-17 10:14 modem was in Bridge mode, rebooted for no reason, no "machine name" (reverse DNS) found which I found strange since this is a standard practise for all ISPs to track users with rDNS

2016-10-22 23:57 random reboot

2016-10-23 23:18 random reboot

2016-10-24 13:10 reboot
                      13:19 reboot
                      13:41 reboot

are you kidding me now. 3 reboots within 1 hour????!??

2016-10-25 13:33 unplugged everything, replaced power cord with a better one with surge protection, EMI/RFI noise filtering and anti-static protection etc. just trying to provide it with good clean power, same IP as before but this time a rDNS was found

2016-10-26 10:14 reboot
                      10:39 reboot
                      12:39 reboot
                      13:14 reboot, ARE YOU KIDDING ME AGAIN. guess my new power bar didn't help.
                      13:20 unplugged everything to restart, running till now so far working ok as time of posting 2016-10-26 19:06

I do not want to restart the freaking modem every day for it to work properly, I shouldn't have to anyway. Before I changed to Fido I had Rogers internet, and it had the same problem with their Cisco DPC3825 modem, although the frequency of it happening was not this high. Yes I know Fido IS Rogers and is using the same cable line, so I think it's probably a problem somewhere on the line itself instead of my home. And yes I have exchanged modem before with Rogers but it did NOT help so I highly doubt changing modem with Fido will do anything.

**Edited to add label

26 REPLIES 26