Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wired slower than WiFi

Ngocngo
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1
Hardware Version	1A
Software Version	4.5.8.39T6

I tried to connect by Ethernet cable then test the internet speed, the speed won’t go over 10mb/s download. I’m on WiFi speed over 60mb/s. I tried different ports, different Ethernet cable, different devices still the same. Is there a way to limit the internet on the modem? Any idea how to fix it?
4 REPLIES 4

FidoKenny

Hey @Ngocngo 

Did this help? Let us know if you were able to figure this out Smiley

We are here for you if there's anything. 

FidoPhilP
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey there Ngocngo!

First of all, Congratulations on your first post! Welcome to the Community!

Also before we get started, I edited your post to hide your S/N and MAC address from the public eye, that's information you don't want circulating around!

About this issue, this shouldn't be an issue with the modem, however if you tell me that you are only reaching speeds of 10mbps, it does hint me that the modem might not be negotiating great speeds. Without going in too much specifics, Ethernet can connect to 3 standards, typically, 10, 100, 1000mbps. When everything fails and the devices don't communicate properly, most devices will default to negotiating to speeds of 10mbps. 

If you want to see exactly which standard your device is connecting on, you can definitely reach your modem by accessing your default gateway address 127.0.0.1, then entering your username and password and navigating to the Advanced tab of the modem itself. 

Does this happen to every devices that you connect to the modem or does this happen to only one of them? What is the grade of the Ethernet cable you are using? (If you are using the cable provided in the box, it should be a category 5E, otherwise it should be written on the length of the cable itself at multiple intervals, it's normally pretty dim.) What speed test did you use exactly?

Keep me posted! 

Jarv25
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Hi, 

Thank you for your thorough reply, I might be facing the same problem, used the cable provided, but my wired internet speed is merely 0.5mbps, wifi is 70mbps. Happened to both of the desktops connected to the router. Please help! thanks

Hey @Jav25, 

I am sorry to learn your having difficulties with your internet. 

Did you contact our internal technical support regarding this? If not, I suggest that you reach out to them directly. They're open 24/7 and can be reached via 1-888-236-FIDO (3436) or via live chat here.