cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi partial down

JustWantStable
I'm a participant level 3

I Have 75 home internet. I have approx. 35 devices connected wirelessly. Most of the devices are home automation (switches, wall plugs)

My issue is that randomly some of the devices will stop connecting to the wifi but most of the other devices all work fine.

so far rebooting the Fido modem seems to be the only fix.

Is there a setting in the router that can fix this permanently or do I just have a defective fido  router?

8 REPLIES 8

FidoKenny

Hello @JustWantStable  and welcome to the Community.

There is no maximum amount of device that you can connect through WI-FI on your modem. However, the more devices  you have connected to the same modem, this might affect your connectivity.

@Community: anyone has tricks to help our friend out with his internet?  

JustWantStable

Note: the issue is not quality of connection but complete disconnection of some devices. Only rebooting of router allows communication to start again. 

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a problem with the Hitron wifi? Can I get around this with a better wifi router and just use the Hitron as a modem only?

Hey @JustWantStable

This could be causing by a multitude of factors. The modem, the devices, even a bluetooth device next to your modem could be the cause of this.

Have you added any device to the network when this started happening?

When did it start happening exactly?

Do you remember any change that was made when the issue presented itself first?

JustWantStable

Just switched to Fido. Brand new modem/router. This has been happening pretty much since day one, although has been okay for last few days now. 

The router is in the bsmt and there is nothing near it. 

One of the disconnection occurrences involved the Apple TV and Alexa in my bsmt not being able to connect but all other devices were ok. (So range is not the issue)

Hey @JustWantStable

I just wanted to correct the information I provided earlier. 

I said that there is no maximum amount of devices on your account.

Actually, the maximum amount of SSIDs is 32. 

You said above that you had approximately 35 devices on your account. If that's the case, then they wouldn't all be supported at the same time. Some devices might get disconnected.

Let me know.

JustWantStable

That is correct I have approx 35 devices. (Light switches, wall plugs, Apple TV, Amazon echoes, cell phones, tablets, laptops, etc).

Re: 32 device limit. Just to clarify are you saying the router only supports 32 wifi connections? Or are you saying that FIdo only allows 32 simultaneous connections to the outside?

also what are my options to resolve this?

Hey there @JustWantStable

I wouldn't think that this is the issue, since SSID is a Service Set Identifier and doesn't represent the amount of connections, rather the number of networks you can create. I am very doubtful that you can create 32 distinct wifi without something going terribly wrong however.

We wouldn't suggest more than 20 simultaneous connections for adequate performance on the modem itself, however as you just stated above, most of those connections are smart plugs and light switches, which don't typically ping your modem too often.

While I won't be able to do the full troubleshooting that one of our technical support agent would be able to, and verify your signal levels from here, I would recommend you to try to disconnect half of your devices for a while and see if the issue persists. If it stops, start reconnecting slowly until you can notice the issue happening again. If it keeps disconnecting, disconnect the other half and reconnect the first half, and wait to see if it will occur again.

If it occurs regardless of which devices are currently connected, I would recommend you to get in touch with our technical support team. If it doesn't occur unless specific devices are connected (one or many) you would have found your culprit there. I would get in contact with the manufacturer of the device if you do find it at that point.

This is a rather lengthy process, but I would believe it is our best shot at finding what is causing the issue. 

Keep us posted!

Hey @JustWantStable

Just following up with you about your internet devices.

Did any of @FidoPhilP's suggestions work on your end? Let us know.