cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Internet and Youtube Slow/Buffering?

Moomoosaurus
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

I have researched and read up alot on this problem on youtube throttling on Rogers, and also Fido internet. I came over from Teksavvy and never had any of these problems.

I just signed up with Fido cable internet 75M/10M. I noticed right away, and paid attention over the first week of use that 4K youtube videos are slow to load, and half the time the video is shown at 1080p, or 1440p, and on occasion even 640p. I never had this problem when I was with Teksavvy. I activated Youtube’s stats for nerds to monitor the video resolution in real time.

I watch alot of youtube, on my smart TV, which is hard wired to the Hitron Modem/router directly. There is nothing else running on the network. From what I read, the problme lies with Rogers’ youtube proxy servers? How is it possible that it throttles youtube resolution on an internet service that is 75M down? Speedtests show the line is running at higher than 75M and I have no problems with normal web browsing. I will be signing up with Netflix soon, I hope that doens’t get throttled too.

I’ve seen lots of people discussing this issue going back a few years, has anyone gotten a resolution on this yet? i don’t want to live chat with Fido staff because I don’t want to go through the eye rolling routine of asking me to reboot my modem, check for viruses, stand on one leg while rubbing my tummy etc.

12 REPLIES 12