cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor internet intermittent..

Gerry24
I'm a contributor level 2

Months ago I had issues with surfing the net, gaming and streaming, not all the time but frequently enough. I had techs out on quite a few visits, I have had the cable from street to box replaced and the lines inside and out tested, a filter a few connections and a modem replacement and while this did help every I often get connection errors and I'll get kicked off Netflix and gaming can be very frustrating.

That being said can these modems supplied be a issue, the reason I ask is with everyone in my home having at least 3 devices each can these modems be overwhelmed. I have to reboot every day or two and most times it works but sometimes it doesn't. 

I find it so frustrating getting techs out only to here "oh I can't help you, you need a senior tech" or I only have 20 minutes here to troubleshoot.

So the main question is there a better modem available that can handle more traffic assuming my theory is somewhat correct.

(Hitron modem CGN3AMF)

Thank you Gerry

10 REPLIES 10

Micul
I'm a participant level 2

Try to use wired connection as much as you can . Use wireless only for phones or other wireless devices only if you have to .  For gaming in particular wireless is not really best option . 

Gerry24

Both my gaming rigs are hard wired as is my tv.

I still believe it's a router thing due to the constant rebooting of the router. 

Let's not forget that these routers have chips in them and are a basic computer which like other computers get slower and fail to function like a new unit after time and have basic software/firmware that becomes outdated. 

Micul

I bridged Fido router and using my own . Try to go and change the router , might be a faulty one . 

Gerry24

I have had my router replaced with the same router, (hitron cng3...) which from what I read online is a poor low end router and in my opinion unable to handle to many devices. I got tired of calling and jumping through the same hoops trying to fix the same issue and their latest possible solution was to increase my data plan because the 75 down and 10 up isn't sufficient for so many devices. (It worked good for a year or so. How would more bandwidth help ??) 

Needless to say I bridged my Hitron and installed 2 decent routers, one is a access point, and all has been fine for 3 weeks now. No getting kicked off Netflix or trouble gaming,for now. (I had the 2 routers previously connected as Access points to the hitron when it was in router mode and no bueno)

FidoFrancois
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hello @Gerry24

Depending on the internet package you have at the moment, the modem can indeed be overwhelmed by the amount of connected devices. Most of our current packages are ideal for 3-4 devices being connected at the same time. We do have a package that can handle more devices (ideal for 8-11 devices) and we'd invite you to contact us here to review the details of that option. 

Another thing that could be explored (if it hasn't already) would be to connect some of your family's devices on the 2 different bands of the modem:

• 2.4 GHz offers greater range but slower speeds and is ideal for browsing
  • 5 GHz offers faster speeds and is great for video streaming, but at closer range to the modem. For the 5 GHz, your device must be compatible to detect and connect to it though.

Hope this helps and provides some ideas on a resolution so you can enjoy your internet services with us. Smiley 

Gerry24

Just a few more details.

I have the 70 down and 10 up package.

A tech online recommended I combine the 2.4ghz with the 5ghz. it just shows my SSID as the name I gave my wifi without the 2.4 or 5 GHz label assigned to it.

And I'm not sure if I had mentioned that I also have the issues on hard wired computers as well. 

Thank you for the clarification and details. 

• Do you see the default network names (SSIDs) and passwords printed on the label on your modem by any chance? 
  • Also, you should see 4 ports when you hardwire your computer to it, do you see any indications about the data transfer load of each? Did you try more than one port? Did the results change? 

Alternatively and depending on the number of devices connected at the same time, it might be an interesting idea to review the package you currently have. 

Please keep us posted! 

Gerry24

As mentioned it is intermittent on a regular basis. I do see the lights indicating data transfer and I do see the SSID being broadcast but I have changed the SSID from the stock one to a personal one. During the months I have had this issue I have also tried all the stock settings on the router and it acts up with 2 ppl on it or 5 ppl with either wifi/hard connection. I have tested all the Ethernet lines in my home and the all test ok.

Could this hitron modem be lacking in it's ability to funnel the traffic coming at it and ends up bottle necking? Is there another modem I could try besides the cgn3amf.

Thank you Gerry 

husky_bark

When you having issues, are you downloading torrent(s) or have a VPN running?   The reason I ask, is that I've noticed significant packet loss begins to occur when you have a VPN and torrent downloads occuring.  This seems to be a Fido throttling mechanism, and it gets so bad I've seen the modem disconnect.  

Hey @Gerry24,

Thanks for all the info!

We could look into the possibility of having the modem exchanged, however it's something that can only be done through Technical Support. They'll need to go through a few troubleshooting steps before they can determine if the modem needs replacement. 

You can contact them here to look into it, let us know how it goes!